Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Eric8199

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 27, 2009
Hey guys, I have a late 2012 rMBP with the graphics issue that causes the screen to break up, lines through the screen, etc. I've lived with it since just after I bought it because I don't live close to an Apple Store. My AppleCare runs out this summer, so I need to get it fixed or I'm going to be stuck with it.

Anyone had this repair done? Is it something they have to send it out for or can they do it in a store? It is my primary computer and I use it for my business so I can't afford to be without it even one night. I know Apple doesn't do loaners, so I wanted to know how long I should expect to be without it when I get this repair done on a computer that's never functioned properly since I bought it.

JTToft

macrumors 68040
Apr 27, 2010
Aarhus, Denmark
The late 2012 rMBP is a 13". The 15" is described as mid 2012.

Which do you have? If it's the 15", you're covered under Apple's extended repair programme until at least Feb 27 2016.

As for the turnaround time, that's hard to say.
I had my 2011 15" repaired in-house at an Authorized Service Provider in just one day.

CaptainChunk

macrumors 68020
Apr 16, 2008
Phoenix, AZ
I've had complete logic board replacements performed on MacBooks in the past and I never experienced a turnaround longer than 5 days. At least in the States, Apple performs repairs pretty quickly as long as the necessary parts are in stock.

Eric8199

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 27, 2009
The late 2012 rMBP is a 13". The 15" is described as mid 2012.

Which do you have? If it's the 15", you're covered under Apple's extended repair programme until at least Feb 27 2016.

As for the turnaround time, that's hard to say.
I had my 2011 15" repaired in-house at an Authorized Service Provider in just one day.

I meant mid-2012. It's a 15". Good to know the coverage is longer, but still would like to get it fixed under AppleCare so I don't have to worry about it.

Thanks for the info. We have an authorized service provider about an hour away, so maybe I'll try them first.

bobcan

macrumors 6502a
Jan 8, 2007
Sunny but Cold.. Canada
In my world of 'previous Apple repairs' in small city Canada, I have found that I generally take it into the local shop (Apple Authorized/Trained repair team _ not an Apple Store, but they have sold their products for 10yrs++) and they will determine the issues ASAP, and then let me know how long it might take.. for an issue such as this that is KNOWN, I suspect they may well take your s/n and confirm what it needs if possible, Order Parts, and suspect 2 days after parts arrive (repair and test) before you get back _ expect the 5-7 days if they do demand having the computer On The Bench and Apart before ordering any replacement pieces, I should guess..

Good Luck, please keep us in the loop as it progresses.. :apple:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.