rMBP GUI suddenly sped up

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by flipnap, Aug 3, 2012.

1. flipnap macrumors 6502

Okay, I know this is going to sound crazy. But within the last three days, my system has been getting smoother and smoother. I'm specifically talking about the GUI. And no, I am not imagining things. It has without a doubt become markedly smoother.

I don't know what it is, or what happened. Is it possible that a brand-new rMacBook Pro, with these SSD drives takes an adjustment period?. To fully cash out and get up to speed, so to speak? The performance I am now seeing on the GUI is equivalent to what I had on a classic MacBook Pro from last year, and this is all on the Intel 4000 chip. Very confused but very happy.

2. ihakim macrumors member

It could possibly be that spotlight has finished indexing files if it is a new machine? I noticed the same with mine.

3. kurayami88 macrumors newbie

4. Pakistani macrumors newbie

My Retina MacbookPro is always on Nvidia Gpu.
    I notice that my retina macbook pro is faster sometimes and it laggy and stuttering sometime.In Bootcamp on windows 7 is much faster web browsing even site like Facebook.My screen resolution is 2880x1800 in windows 7.

5. Dangerous Theory macrumors 68000

It's the same on any new Mac - spotlight indexing.

6. AirThis macrumors 6502a

Did you by any chance change the dock settings? Because several here have said it makes a difference (dock autohide, no stacks, etc.)

7. flipnap thread starter macrumors 6502

well, i did change the dock to auto hide, and changed the stacks to folders two days ago. But i was still having minor stuttering. the one thing I ALWAYS noticed was on launchpad. When i would swipe back and forth it would ALWAYS hiccup on the last few "frames" of the transition before it settles in. transition was smooth but just before it finished it would always stutter a tad. Now its smooth as butter. I cant get mission control or launch pad or anyOS related feature to stutter at all.. very cool though..

8. Feed Me macrumors 6502a

Feed Me

The whole lag on the rMBP thing is weird...
    I've done some comparisons between my very old 2007 iMac and my rMBP.

iPhoto performance:
    I've got a pretty big library, and iPhoto was a laggy mess on the iMac. Scrolling, panning, editing, everything was stuttery and slow.
    On the rMBP, iPhoto with the same library is buttery smooth, everything is perfect.

OS X GUI
    On the iMac, unlike iPhoto, the GUI was always very smooth. Sliding between spaces, launchpad, and mission control were always buttery smooth.
    On the rMBP the GUI is noticeably slower. On the nvidia GPU, launchpad is smooth, but sliding between spaces and mission control are definitely slower. They're not stuttery, per se, but not as smooth as the 2007 iMac.

Why is it that the rMBP handles iPhoto perfectly but has trouble with the OS X GUI? How can a 24" iMac from 2007 handle the GUI perfectly, but be brought to its knees in iPhoto? The whole thing is just weird. There's no pattern.

9. PCWebbJR macrumors member

agreed

10. zainiak macrumors regular

yup, its probably indexing. i 24 hours after i got mine, i noticed much more speed out of it, no laggy scrolling, fast animations etc