rMBP Hard Drive Upgrade

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by DirectorZak, Apr 12, 2013.

1. DirectorZak macrumors newbie

DirectorZak

Hello all,

I recently got a 15 inch rMBP, (best computer ever if I may add). Anyways, due to lack of money I only got the 256gb SSD. However, I know that OWC sells a upgrade to it for a 480gb one. Would this void my apple care? Thanks for answering my question!

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

According to Apple, yes, it would, as there are no user-serviceable parts in your MBP. Whether you get away with it is another matter.

3. DirectorZak thread starter macrumors newbie

DirectorZak

If I saved my Mac SSD though, would they care then? Or still yes?

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

If Apple determined your MBP had been modified, they could choose to void the warranty/AppleCare. If you replaced the original before taking it in for service, they may or may not notice. There are no guarantees in this situation.

5. B... macrumors 68000

B...

Technically, just putting it in voids the warantee, no matter if you keep or throw away the old one.

6. Xgm541 macrumors 6502a

Ethics aside, if you go to apple with the OWC SSD inside, apple may notice. However if you replace the original SSD, apple has no way of knowing you ever even opened the laptop.

7. Orlandoech macrumors 68040

Orlandoech

Exactly. At the point it's all here say because there are no "seals" that are broken to validate if the SSD has been removed.

Just put the stock SSD in when you take it in for service.

8. yusukeaoki macrumors 68030

yusukeaoki

It will void your warranty as rMBP has no user replaceable parts.
    However, it whether they would notice the modification or not.

For example, I have a optibay mod on my 17in which is considered warranty voiding.
    But if I replace it with my ODD and showed no signs of mod on my machine, they wouldnt notice it.
    If you took great care and didnt leave any signs (like stripped screws or damages) they wouldnt know.

9. bluesteel, Apr 12, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 12, 2013

bluesteel macrumors 6502

a few weeks ago, i was told by an Apple Store manager that replacing the hard drive, specifically in a retina MacBook Pro, DOES NOT void the warranty. and i specifically talked about OWC's upgrade. i said, "are you sure?", and he said "i'm sure, replacing the hard drive will not void the warranty".

i've brought many of my older regular MacBook Pros into the Apple Store Genius Bar with SSDs, optical bay hard drives, etc, etc. the most they say is, "wow, thats pretty cool." when i ask if it voids my warranty, they say no. I have not once had a problem getting warranty service from Apple, from any upgrades i have done to my Macbook Pros.

10. IlikeMacsSoMuch macrumors 6502

IlikeMacsSoMuch

If your damage in any way your laptop while making the upgrade, it won't be covered by apple care.

And if your new ssd goes to ***** and damages your laptop that wouldn't be covered either.

But if you are very careful when you upgrade, then it is unlikely that you'll have any trouble.

However, it voids your warranty no matter what anybody says. If you bring it in store, the "genius" might still fix any problem for free, if he/she is nice. But keep the actual hdd, if you ever need to use your apple care, put it back into your laptop, use your time machine on it and if asked if your laptop has been tempered with it is up to you what to answer. If the "genius" is any good (yeah right) he might notice any tempering. But if you get the ssd installed by a certified technician ( apple certified), it might not void your warranty.

11. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Individual Apple employees, including store managers and geniuses, are not reliable sources of information, as they are frequently misinformed, as is the case with the manager you talked to. The only reliable source for information on this is Apple's written warranty and AppleCare agreement, which state that unauthorized modifications do, indeed, void the warranty.

12. jamesbarns macrumors member

A little mistake that you made at the beginning of purchasing your Laptop, was that you should have just got the lower grade stuff to start out, and then upgraded your Hard Drive or whatever else afterwards, as it only costs about half the price. Just a little something to know so that maybe you can save some cash in the future.

I have also heard that specifically for the rMBP, that replacing the Hard Disk would not void the warranty. Best of luck to you!

13. rpg51 macrumors 6502

rpg51

The fact that the warranty states something does not necessarily mean that is the law. Often times there are state and sometimes federal statutes that control no matter what the warranty says.

14. ColdCase macrumors 68030

The 256 is the "lowest grade" on a rMBP 15.

The rMBP apple store upgrade from 256 to 512 is $300, buying a 480GB separately is $550. You lose money. You can get 768GB from apple for only $700. I don't think you can get that third party. You do end up with an extra 256GB hard drive going the DIY upgrade toute and buying a $30 enclosure (equivalent to a $250 external SDD).

so standard > 512GB via apple is $300
    standard > 480 via third party is $550, but you have end up with a $250 portable 256GB drive (if thats of any value to you) $500-$250 = $300. You also down 6% of your storage space (32GB)

$300 with full warranty, $300 plus your labor without warranty and risk of damage... the difference is not as much as it was years ago...

15. IlikeMacsSoMuch macrumors 6502

IlikeMacsSoMuch

Having done these upgrades myself on my 2012 cmbp I totally agree, money wise it is not worth it. But fun!