rMBP(haswell) 13" froze

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by -kickAss-, Oct 26, 2013.

1. -kickAss- macrumors newbie

Hi guys my rMBP 13" (October 2013) froze this morning while I was looking for a hard case on amazon. I could still put it into sleep mode with the power button but as when I turned it on again I couldnt put in my password since it was frozen. So I had to hold the power button to reboot my Mac. Now it's working fine again. Only happened once since I got it on Wednesday. Just seems odd was only using safari. Anyone had the some problem? Should I return it for a new one?

2. kanon14 macrumors regular

kanon14

This just happened to me too while I was browsing Facebook. I doubt it's an hardware issue. More likely it's due to Mavericks still being new and all.

3. dankev, Oct 26, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 26, 2013

dankev macrumors newbie

I had the exact same issue last night. It also seems slower on some websites than my 4 year old Win laptop. I was on imgur, and I kept getting the rainbow pinwheel. Seems really odd.

Somewhat related, I also got an Airport extreme at the same time as the new macbook, and I'm having the damnedest time getting network printer and hard drives to work. There also appears to be a lag loading websites that wasn't there on the macbook before I set up the Airport.

I'm pretty close to returning everything and sticking with Windows gear.

Edited to note that imgur seems to be working fine this morning. But last night I double checked on my Win laptop, and it was running fine, too. It was apparently an issue with the rMBP.

4. drxcm macrumors regular

5. epoxide, Oct 26, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 26, 2013

epoxide macrumors newbie

Yes, it seems to be a common issue (keyboard and trackpad freezing) and it has happened to me twice within 24 hours of buying the new mid-range 13" rMBP. I really hope it's not a hardware issue. Everyone who is having this issue should post in the Apple Support Forums thread quoted above, and submit a bug report to Apple or call AppleCare, so that they fix this ASAP before our 14-day return period expires.

6. dankev macrumors newbie

It just happened for the second time. This time I just left it alone for 15 minutes or so, and it was working again.

This sucks, Apple.

7. warfed macrumors regular

Just happened to me, browsing amazon trackpad stopped responding. Clicked the power button, screen turned off, clicked it again screen came back on but couldn't type anything.

Hopefully Apple is aware of this issue and will fix it soon. I guess I better ⌘-s more often...

8. Beezy253 macrumors 6502

9. imalazeeass macrumors regular

I am definitely holding off until all these issues are fixed!

10. Moshe1010 macrumors 6502a

11. covertash macrumors member

It's quite ironic that I clicked the link above and was going to report this same issue that happened to me a couple of days ago, when mid sentence in the Comments box... it froze! I power cycled the machine and now have a new experience to share with Apple, lol. If only I could play the lottery and be as lucky. :p

12. Beezy253 macrumors 6502

Well that sucks!

and I plan on getting the same configuration as in your sig by end of the week/early next week (as soon as PowerMax.com gets them back in-stock).. hopefully enough people have sent in reports that Apple is looking into it.

13. ROLLTIDE1 macrumors 65816

14. AlecMyrddyn macrumors 6502

Evidence so far *seems* to indicate this is a software problem, but it's hard to be sure. Until Apple releases a patch that fixes it, no one knows for sure.

15. covertash, Oct 29, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 29, 2013

covertash macrumors member

I'm feeling confident about it. I work in IT in the retail industry, and my team has encountered a few register types that do not play well with certain versions of Windows where, similarly, the keyboards and mice also freeze without warning, at random times. It took a number of support tickets to IBM to finally narrow down a simple registry fix.

While I'm not advocating that Apple's fix will be nearly as simple, I'm hopeful that if this is happening with so many owners that it is just a matter of time before they narrow down the root cause. :)

16. lovestruck macrumors member

Travelling the inland waterways of the UK
    I am waiting for my 13"rMBP..my first ever Apple product..are Apple fairly fast at finding and fixing software bugs?..

MS take forever and then tell you its the drivers..

Am reading all these reports of freezing up with an ever growing sense of alarm!

17. 8CoreWhore macrumors 68020

8CoreWhore

18. neteng101 macrumors 65816

19. Perfa macrumors newbie

Sometimes it sucks to be early adopter. I have problems with windows 8.1 as well.