rMBP HDMI Flickring

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jimmy43, Jul 2, 2013.

1. jimmy43 macrumors member

Hi guys, just got my 15" rMBP and I'm wondering if it's normal, I have an external monitor connected via an HDMI->DVI Cable and every once in a while, it will lose connection for a split second and flickr, as if it's re-connecting.

Is this an issue anyone else has experienced? Is it the rMBP or maybe the cable?

2. calvol macrumors 6502a

There was/is a HDMI issue with the Intel 4000 GPU reported on the Mac Mini forums since Nov12 where the screen goes blank randomly for a second, and sometimes degrades to a snowy screen.

3. jimmy43 thread starter macrumors member

Yes, actually a couple times I did see the snow effect. However, I was under the impression that while plugged in to power, only the nVidia 650 gpu is being used?

Could you post the link to the mini thread?

thanks

4. jimmy43 thread starter macrumors member

Has anyone else experienced this on their Retina MBP?
    It's happening more and more frequently now, almost once a day.

Basically the external monitor connected via HDMI->DVI goes into 'colored snow' mode and you can't use it unless you unplug the cable and wait a few seconds and plug it back in.

Is it the intel HD4000 gpu that's causing it? It would be strange as I mentioned I think the rMBP stays in 650gpu mode as long as it's plugged in (and it's always plugged in with the external monitor)

thanks

5. nickandre21 macrumors 6502a

if im right whenever you connect an external display the geforce chip is enabled.
    Try using another hdmi cable and connecting it to another monitor or TV.
    Ill check later today with my rMBP and post back if i find the same issue.