rMBP HDMI port only working in Boot Camp on Xbox One

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by applepie555, Mar 23, 2015.

1. applepie555 macrumors regular

Hello,
    I have an retina MacBook Pro 15" and am trying to connect it to the HDMI in on my Xbox One. However whenever I connect it, the Xbox shows black or "Your TV signal was lost." I can see the Xbox in display preferences and have tried switching resolutions but nothing seems to work.

When I boot my mac in boot camp, it immediately connects to the Xbox one, displaying the screen at default resolution of 1080p 60hz. Once I reboot back into mac mode, it stops working. In addition, in Mac mode the Xbox seems to randomly disconnect from the mac. This does not occur in Windows.

Any ideas on why this is happening and how to fix it?

2. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 603

What exactly are you trying to do???

Get the xbox on your rMBP screen??

If so your HDMI is output only and won't work.

If not I don't understand what the point is....

3. robo456 macrumors 6502

robo456

I think he means:

rMBP -> Xbone -> TV

Using the Xbone as a "pass-thru" to the TV, correct OP?

If you want to "stream" stuff to the Xbone, it looks a little more involved:
    http://www.geeksquad.co.uk/articles/stream-Mac-to-Xbox-One

--rob

4. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 603

Really??? Surely an HDMI splitter is the easiet option here why go through the Xbox??

5. thedarkhorse macrumors 6502a

the point is that whatever you feed to the xbox one HDMI input can come up as a picture in picture through the xbox interface, you can be playing a game while watching something in the picture in picture of the xbox interface. It's kinda one of the main features of the xbox one.

6. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 603

Not a gamer

This I did not know... Interesting I can understand why OSX doesn't play well with it... Good article though.

7. applepie555 thread starter macrumors regular

I meant in wanted to use the HDMI in on the Xbox to show my macs screen on the Xbox.

It is just a standard HDMI port, so I don't see why there should be any issue. Also I don't think using HDMI the Xbox can tell I am running OS X

Also using an adapter I can connect an iPhone without a problem.

8. Freyqq macrumors 68040

You are correct, it should work fine. Must be a software issue. You can try a displayport to hdmi wire. One of my monitors didn't work properly on HDMI, only on displayport with an adapter.

9. applepie555 thread starter macrumors regular

It would be dumb if using an adapter would work better than the built in port...especially since it seems to be a software problem as opposed to a hardware problem

Is there any way to tinker with the display settings more? I tried Setresx, and couldn't get anything to work but is there any other apps I could try?