rMBP Headphone Jack Problem

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ksowder, Jun 6, 2013.

1. ksowder, Jun 6, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 6, 2013

ksowder macrumors newbie

Hello everyone, I was wondering to see if anyone else has had the same problem I have had with my headphone jack.

I will be listening to music, then suddenly, without warning, either by loose connection, or some other "black magic" (haha) the music will begin to play out of the speakers. This normally wouldn't be an issue if it didn't happen when I'm in a perfectly silent library studying for finals!

Has anyone else has this problem? I would take my machine to the apple store, however, the problem is difficult to replicate....

Any advice would be appreciated! Thanks!

2. wingate.white macrumors newbie

I'd call up an apple tech, I believe they switched to an optical sensor in the jack so I think that sensor is acting up.

3. tjgonzo macrumors member

tjgonzo

I wish I could be of help but, I've been experiencing some issues with my headphone jack on my rMBP as well. It's similar to this problem, the only way for me to get any sound through the 1/8" jack is to turn the computer on with headphones plugged in. It will not work other wise, for example if I'm using my computer and I want to watch a video and I plug in headphones, the computer doesn't recognize them. Even in system preferences.
    If anybody has any insight let me know.

4. ksowder thread starter macrumors newbie

I appreciate the quick response guys! I guess the only option is to call them up. I really just hope its a simple fix because I really can't be without the machine for more than a couple hours. It's not a pressing issue at the moment so I will get to it in the next couple of weeks. Ill be sure to post on here if it gets resolved though.

If anyone else has any insight, please let me know!

5. Xcallibur macrumors 6502a

Xcallibur

Sometimes blowing dust out of the jack can fix headphone problems, just a suggestion? probably won't work but worth a try I guess.

6. ksowder thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks. I just tried it, but later tonight the problem persisted. I believe it may have something to with the way the jack is positioned inside the notebook itself, that it may not be sitting flush with the case/outer shell. So when the cable is plugged in, it isn't fully engaging, or is engaging t an angle.

hmmmmm......

7. justperry macrumors 604

justperry

Yours seems to be a software problem, not hardware.

----

OP
    Did you try a different headset, maybe the plug on yours is a tiny bit different, try a different one first for a while, if it does not have the problem you know it is your headset.

8. ksowder thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah, I thought it might be software. I have tried the apple earbuds that come with the iphones, then I tried my bose headphones, then I tried my headphone jack that hooks up to my 5.1 system. After some sort of time it ends up happening.

I just noticed this, If i spin the male headphone plug while it is in the computer, it sort of spins in an oval, rather than in a perfect circle. This makes me believe that the jack is out of alignment on the computer itself. And that after being in use for some time, the connection comes undone.

9. justperry macrumors 604

justperry

Bold:
    This might be the problem, if that is the case it is HW, maybe other people with a rMBP can chime in and try if that is the same on theirs.

10. tjgonzo macrumors member

tjgonzo

Yeah it is definitely not hardware, even with updates and a fresh install of OSX it still doesn't work. Not too big of a deal to me since most of the audio I send out of the computer is through an interface.

11. zipur macrumors 6502a

zipur

My Headset Jack is broke!!

Today my headset jack stopped working also. I tried three different headsets.
    I guess its off to the Apple Store for me.