rMBP heat question.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by skevin, Aug 12, 2012.

1. skevin macrumors newbie

On the retina macbook pro I am getting:

cpu 62 degrees celcius
    gpu 72
    gpu diode 73
    fans running at around 3800 rpm

are these numbers too high for prolonged use? (7-10 hours a day)

2. gmanist1000 macrumors 68030

gmanist1000

If the computer was overheating, it would shutdown. The software is designed to work this way so no harm is caused to the computer.

I wouldn't worry if I were you.

3. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

If your normal workload produces such temps, it's fine. Those are well within the normal operating range.

The Intel processors used in Macs are designed to automatically shut down to prevent damage if they truly overheat. CPU Tjmax = 105C (221F), GPU Tjmax = 100C (212F) on i3, i5, i7 processors. (Source: Intel)

If you're not already using it, iStat Pro (free) or iStat Menus ($16) will give you accurate readings of your temps and fan speeds, among other things.

Unless there is a rare defect in a Mac, most temps are well within the normal operating range, considering the workload being put on it. Websites with Flash content, games and other multimedia apps will put higher demand on the CPU/GPU, generating more heat. This is normal. If you're constantly putting high demands on your system, such as gaming or other multimedia tasks, expect temps to rise and fans to spin up accordingly. It's just your Mac doing its job to maintain temps within the normal range.

It is also quite normal for your Mac to become extremely hot to the touch during intensive operations. The aluminum body transfers heat more effectively than other materials used in computer casings, so you will feel the heat more. This doesn't indicate that it's overheating and will not harm the computer to be hot to the touch.

Your fans are always on when your Mac is on, spinning at a minimum of 2000 rpm (for MBPs) or 1800 rpm (for MBAs, MBs and minis). iMacs have 3 fans with minimum speeds in the 800-1200 range. They will spin faster as needed to keep temps at a safe level.

If your fans are spinning up without increased heat, try resetting the SMC.
    (PRAM/NVRAM has nothing to do with these issues, so resetting it will not help.)

The intake and exhaust vents are in the back of the computer near the hinge on all Mac notebooks (except the new MBP with retina display, which has intake vents along the sides at the bottom). The iMac vent is a slot on the back near the top of the computer. Make sure the vents remain unblocked to allow your computer to perform at its best.

Learn about the fans in your Mac
    Apple Portables: Operating temperature

For Flash-related issues:

4. noodile macrumors regular

wow, temps are wayyyyyy cooler than my 2009 MBP.

my MBP is 60-65 degrees celsius, with fan forced at 6200 rpm (SMC fan).

i once kept the fan stock in 85 degree F weather and it hit 95C.

5. Queen6 macrumors 603

Queen6

You might want to dig into your machine, my Early 2008 15" MBP 2.4 Penryn doesn't get anywhere near as hot as that unless its` under extreme loads. My daughter is presently playing a flash based game on the 08 MBP and it`s downloading in the background - 59C on the CPU & 54C on the GPU with fans at 3K, ambient is 25C.

I use UltraFan to hold CPU temp to 60C, this just helps by spooling up the fans sooner, however under heavy load temperatures will obviously exceed 60C. This is more of a precautionary step as my Early 08 is one of the MBP`s with the potentially defective Nvidia GPU`s (8600M GT) and this system has seen well over 30K hours of uptime, so high thermal stresses are best avoided; original Logic Board & HDD, new fans this year.

6. Queen6 macrumors 603

Queen6

What are you doing with the Retina, and is an external monitor? As these temps are higher than my Reina, however they are comparable to my Late 2011 15" MBP 2.4 i7 which has an external monitor which forces the discrete GPU on full time.

The temperature is not detrimental, however you or the system is doing something to drive the temperature up. My own Retina is running several app`s (Safari - full screen several tabs, Preview - several full screen, Activity Monitor, Temperature Monitor, gfxCardStatus) and playing a movie via iTunes utilising the Intel GPU (dynamic setting) CPU 50C, GPU 43C ambient is 25C

7. hakuryuu macrumors 6502

my rMBP's temps tend to be anywhere from 35-50C depending on workload, obviously higher if making the cpu/gpu work. But at work for instance it easily idles at 35-40C. Similar at home though I have higher ambient at home. I am exceedingly pleased with my rMBP from a temperature standpoint.

8. noodile macrumors regular

35-40? I hope my new cMBP is around the same. 09's lowest it ever hit was 46.

9. thermodynamic Suspended

thermodynamic

Hardly - if those values indicate heavy usage (3D rendering, 3D gaming, anything math-intensive, benchmarking, etc).

My 2011 MBP gets up to 92C.

My 2009 MBP got up to 99C.

Sources claimed 2010 MBPs got over 100C.

62C is a godsend, under heavy load, for a MBP. Especially at 3800RPM.

Of course, if those numbers you'd specified are when idle or web browsing, then there is a problem. My 2011 MBP idles at ~35 with an ambient room temp of 25~28.

----------

Without VMs, mine gets around 49~55C when in Photoshop and Dreamweaver.

3D or fractal rendering, video editing, or VM usage gets mine up to 92C.

For regular use, most laptops - Apple or otherwise - seem to hover in the low~mid-50s when doing "typical workload" - like Photoshop.

Only if a mobile-grade CPU or GPU gets up to 80C do I start to worry. They can run up to 100C+, but I wouldn't do so for any length of time... if I want the laptop to last.

10. Queen6 macrumors 603

Queen6

I can concur my Retina is presently idling at 34C, with an ambient temp of 25C

11. gootdude macrumors newbie

Depends on the use

I'm currently running 1 27" cinema display, 1 27inch thunderbolt imac in target display mode driven by MBP Retina, and my GPU is COOKING at all times.

It definitely seems that when the 650m is enabled (which seems to be the case always when external displays are hooked up?), the graphics diode temperature stays pretty high. My machine usually sits around 64-72C GPU diode, and the CPU will range all over the place depending on my workload. (Lots of development, compiling, running vm's etc)

Interestingly enough, if I shut the lid, disabling the retina screen, the machine runs much cooler/quicker even though it is still using the 650m at all tmes. Things definitely scroll faster, no expose lag, and like 40-60C GPU temp when just running both 27inch screens and the lid shut disabling retina.

Considering the retina's resolution is not that much larger than the 27inches native resolutions, I assume the software that is used to create the retina windows must really be pushing the GPU. I notice that if I drag a window so more of it is in a non retina display, then the entire window becomes "blurry" on the retina screen. If i drag the window far enough into the retina screen, it will become clear since the software kicks in.

All of this is moot when running just the retina alone, since it runs nice and cool just like any apple machine with hardly and load on it and no discrete graphics smoking away.

-G