rMBP Hibernating when removing power cord

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by spennyb, Jul 3, 2013.

1. spennyb macrumors newbie

Hi there Guys,

Apologies if this has been posted/answered before, but Googling around I only found threads about how to change hibernation modes, or problems with MBP's not hibernating at all....mine is the opposite!

I have a 13" retina MBP, a few weeks old (i7 3.0GHz, 8GB, 512GB SSD), now running v10.8.4 but it did the same on v10.8.3 as well.

Using the Mac whilst connected to the mains power cord, all fine....if I then remove the power cord it'll be fine for 20-25secs, then black screens whilst it's hibernating (ie destaging to SSD)....really annoying when you're in the middle of doing something.

Likewise, if the Mac has already switched the screen off, I remove the power without waking it, then wake it when on battery, it does exactly the same 20-25secs later, and re-enters hibernation!

I've tried resetting the SMC, made no difference.

I'm in Hibernation Mode 3...I also have a 2009 15" MBP Core Duo system (also on 10.8.4), which doesn't behave this way, so don't think it's supposed to be working this way?

Any help gratefully received! If you need me to look in a log file somewhere, please just shout.

Thanks
    Spencer.

2. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

3. LoMonkey macrumors regular

It sounds like your battery needs to be replaced. Do you always use your computer with your power cord? Because that's not good for the battery. I learned that the hard way and had to replace my first one.

4. duervo macrumors 68000

duervo

If it's just a few weeks old, unless you bought it used, call AppleCare and/or take it in to get looked at. It stands a very good chance of being quicker in the long run than trying to troubleshoot via online forums.

5. sonicrobby macrumors 68020

sonicrobby

Are you POSITIVE it hibernates? Because if I unplug it, and dont touch anything on my rMBP, the screen does go black in 20-25secs, but I dont think its hibernating (in my case at least). A press of any button or moving the cursor brightens up the screen again in no more than a second. Normally the process of laptops being on battery is the screen turning off after a certain amount of time, and then the entire computer going into hibernation minutes afterwards.

Check in your power saving options/or screen saver option (cant remember which) in your preferences and see/change the time of sleep/hibernation whilst on battery

6. spennyb thread starter macrumors newbie

Battery Health reported at 100% with only 12 charge cycles...the unit's only about a month old!

Use it predominantly on battery yes, but also on battery when on the train, in meetings, sitting on the sofa working/surfing (like now). I use it no differently from my 2009 MBP which after 4yrs of solid professional use (as opposed to just evenings "social" use) its got a battery health of ca.95% IIRC

7. spennyb thread starter macrumors newbie

Am pretty sure it's hibernating, insomuch that when it decides after 25secs to go to sleep, even when typing/surfing/general active use, the screen goes black (but still on), with keyboard backlighting still on, and the cursor arrow is visible while its (what I think is) de-staging the RAM to SSD, then when complete, the screen actually goes off, the k/b backlights go off and it then takes a good 5-10secs to wake it up again (ie while it re-writes the RAM contents back from SSD, I'm guessing)

WRT to the power settings:

On Power -->

Computer Sleep = Never, Display Sleep = 15min
    HDD Sleep = yes
    Wake for WiFi Access = yes
    PowerNap = yes

On Battery -->

Computer Sleep = 10min, Display Sleep = 5min
    HDD Sleep = yes
    Dim display on battery = yes
    PowerNap = no

No schedule settings used

Screensaver settings = 20mins, and requires PW immediately after sleep/ssaver begins (mandatory for work use)

Cheers
    Spencer

8. sonicrobby macrumors 68020

sonicrobby

That is strange...
    Is this often? Can you replicate it every time?
    If so, then I would recommend going to a local apple store and demonstrating the issue to a technician first hand and see what they think.

9. bkribbs macrumors 65816

Just saying but its not bad to use the laptop plugged in as someone else said it was...

You should plug it in when possible, and just make sure to drain it a good bit every so often