rMBP hissing sound

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by iDutchman, Nov 1, 2012.

1. iDutchman macrumors 6502a

I have a 3 months old retina MacBook Pro. it's been pretty much flawless.
    The only issues I had (still have) is that the wallpaper changes by itself after a reboot (so it won't save). Other than that, it's been good.

The rMBP has a Samsung screen and SSD, so that's lucky.

Here's the issue:

Whenever I do a software update (through app store) or watch a trailer on let's say IMDB or Vimeo (not YouTube!) , I hear this hissing sound (softly, but it's there and in silent places obvious). It only happens while buffering for a trailer in IMDB or Vimeo and not for YouTube.

Also, it doesn't matter if the sound is muted or not! I hear the sound above the keyboard but it also seems to be the speakers (muted or not, does not matter).

Does anyone know what this could be?

It's deadsilent otherwise.

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

It might be your fans spinning faster. Use iStat Pro (free) or iStat Menus ($16) to get accurate readings of your battery, temps, fan speeds and much more.

3. iDutchman thread starter macrumors 6502a

Of course I've already checked that. That's not it. at all.:cool::rolleyes:

4. Maczor macrumors regular

It's most likely just the fans...
    I don't think you should worry about it.

5. iDutchman, Nov 1, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 1, 2012

iDutchman thread starter macrumors 6502a

It's not. I've checked it already and the fan speeds do not increase nor does the temperature. I work as a Apple Genius (student job), so I know it's not the fans.

But because I currently reside in Spain (student) , I can't just go to work and verify.

6. Maczor macrumors regular

Then why not ask one of your colleagues to take a look? You guys surely have a technician around there somewhere...

7. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Well, unlike geniuses, I can't read minds, so I have no way of knowing in advance what you have or haven't checked. :rolleyes:
    I'm sure you'll figure it out, since you're far more knowledgeable than the rest of us.

8. iDutchman, Nov 1, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 1, 2012

iDutchman thread starter macrumors 6502a

All the common causes have been checked by me. Unfortunately I can't let my colleagues take a look as I live in Spain for study purposes and not in Amsterdam (where I work and live).

I do know of hissing problems with speakers on previous and other models and those could only be resolved by replacement.

This doesn't sound to be the case. I just don't know ;)

Thx for the input so far!