rMBP hole in screen?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by i4Collin, Aug 7, 2012.

1. i4Collin, Aug 7, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 7, 2012

i4Collin macrumors regular

I cleaned my screen tonight on my month old rMBP and...
    IMG_0097.jpg
    IMG_0089.jpg
    There is a definite hole in the middle-right of the screen. At first thought it was a dead pixel, but then I realized that I could feel it with my fingernail. I then thought maybe it was a crumb so I tried to get it off with a microfiber cloth. After 5 minutes of scrubbing I couldn't get it off and only managed to make whatever it was bigger and more noticeable. Whatever it is, it took me until now to notice it. If I take it to the genius bar will they repair/replace it?

2. Panini macrumors regular

Could you be more specific? Has a part of the screen been dented in or is there really a hole that goes through the screen?

3. i4Collin thread starter macrumors regular

No part of the screen has been dented and when I scratched at it, my fingernail went in the screen, not out as if it were a crumb. Now I'm just afraid to touch it with anything.

4. BlazednSleepy macrumors 6502a

Not only that but you also have some light bleed.

5. i4Collin thread starter macrumors regular

I just turned off the lights and looked at the screen and you can clearly see all of the places where it is bleeding. I never thought to look for that until now. This just isn't my night. :(

6. \-V-/ Suspended

\-V-/

What were you using to clean it?

It couldn't hurt to try, man.

7. Panini macrumors regular

It couldn't, but I wouldn't get your hopes high. As far as they're concerned, there is no realistic explanation as to why this could have been their fault.

However, AppleCare has always been sympathetic, even when it's your own mistake and the fault isn't covered by AppleCare officially. It's worth a try, but you'll have to rely on sympathy and get lucky.

8. BlazednSleepy macrumors 6502a

Tell me about it. I'm getting my second replacement soon. :(

9. mofunk macrumors 68000

mofunk

10. i4Collin thread starter macrumors regular

Nothing but a barely damp microfiber cloth. I wouldn't use anything that would harm the screen.

11. Jiten macrumors 6502a

Jiten

Some sort of chip on the screen perhaps. Its clearly some sort of factory defect, better bring it back to the Applestore to have it fixed.

12. i4Collin thread starter macrumors regular

If you look at it from the side, there appears to be a tiny ripple surrounding the chip. I made an appointment at the genius bar tonight.

13. PrestonWard macrumors member

just curious what the genius bar said.

14. dcorban macrumors 6502a

dcorban

It looks like that spot missed some of the coating, using for anti-glare and polarizing.

15. gokart mozart macrumors 6502

Take it in. They should repair it since it is within the one year warranty. I can't see how that would be a user-casued issue, so there shouldn't be a charge.

16. terraphantm macrumors 68040

Just FYI, the magenta/green hues you see aren't light bleed per se. They're a known artifact of A-TW polarizers. The benefit of those polarizers is that black levels stay relatively constant even at angles.

You do have some backlight bleed at the left edge though

17. Krazy Bill macrumors 68030

Krazy Bill

You had something on your keyboard when you closed the lid.

That's what they'll say. :eek: Good luck though.

18. AirKai macrumors newbie

I have the exact same sized hole in mine is on the left side. Where you getting anything out of your genius bar appointment?

19. Dyno-Mike macrumors regular

I have 2 of these holes. They just appeared on 2 separate occasions. They look like stuck pixels but at certain angles you can clearly see the hole in the top surface screen layer.

Its as if a pixel has exploded or something. Crazy as it sounds.

20. MaxPower72 macrumors 6502

MaxPower72

that's weird. Never seen anything like this before

21. Dyno-Mike macrumors regular

Me neither. If the OP sees this how did you get on at the genius bar?

Taking mine in Saturday, Hopefully they will change the screen.

22. GekkePrutser macrumors 6502a

GekkePrutser

Check if it mates up with the metal edge around the keyboard (where the palmrest starts), I've seen more reports from people saying the screen got scratched or chipped because of that edge touching the screen when it was closed. That would make it more of a manufacturing/design problem (at least I hope they'll see it that way).

23. AirKai macrumors newbie

Mine seems to match with the upper left hand corner of the trackpad. I'll give Apple a call tomorrow and ask what they can do about it.

24. GekkePrutser macrumors 6502a

GekkePrutser

Yeah I've also seen reports of that happening (the trackpad edge). I just didn't mention it here because it looked way too far to the right to be that, in the photo from the topic starter.

One guy I read about even took it in for repair but it happened again after a week, even though he was very careful not to put pressure on the screen. He said he also made sure not to let it 'slap' itself shut when closing.

I've also seen similar reports from some 13" MacBook Air owners, although there it always seems to scratch (and make faint white blotches), not chip the surface as it seems to do here. Strange. Maybe the front glass has different properties.

I've been following these screen chipping issues on the forums because I'm very interested in owning a 15" rMBP but my use will involve lots of backpack travel and sometimes cramming it in already cramped hand luggage. I don't want to constantly be super careful not putting too much pressure on the screen :) So I haven't got one yet.

The MacBook I have now is also very prone to pressure although it just cracks the topcase and it's a known problem, and I've managed to 'fix' it by putting rubber stops around the screen. Not pretty but it's rock solid now :) It's a real trooper.

25. MaxPower72 macrumors 6502

MaxPower72

They have to! This "hole thing" is unacceptable