RMBP - How many monitors?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by akm3, Jun 15, 2012.

1. akm3 macrumors 68020

How many monitors can I run off the new Macbook Pro? The guy at the Apple store said "Yes" when I asked if I could plug in two Thunderbolt Displays, a TV into the HDMI and also use the Retina screen at the same time. I can't imagine he's right but I want to check. He even went further and said you could daisy chain thunderbolt displays.

How many displays can you actually run off this thing?

2. Stetrain macrumors 68040

Apple's tech specs say two external displays at the same time as using the internal display:

http://www.apple.com/macbook-pro/specs/

However, Apple's tech specs also say one external display for the non-retina 15", but in practice it's actually capable of driving the internal display and two Thunderbolt displays (or one TB display and one non-TB display daisy chained).

I guess we just have to wait for someone with several thousand dollars worth of Thunderbolt displays and TVs to give us the real scoop.

Anandtech usually goes into stuff like this in their reviews, their review for the Retina MBP will probably be out next week.

3. reden macrumors 6502

I wonder if it can run two 30 inch Apple Cinema displays at full resolution.

4. Stetrain macrumors 68040

According to the tech specs it should be able to, and you have two Mini-Displayport connectors to hook the dual-link DVI adapters to. However, people have been reporting issues with the dual-link DVI adapter and getting full 2560x1600 resolution. Hopefully that's fixed in a software update.

5. reden macrumors 6502

That would be fantastic, and I'd definitely buy this MacBook if that's the case. I got this MacBook Pro last year, and had to sell my other 30 inch because it wasn't possible to run both at full resolution with that adapter sold by that 3rd party. Now I get the best of both worlds.