rMBP - how much hard drive space have you used?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by rgr555, Sep 20, 2012.

1. rgr555 macrumors 6502

Still wondering if 512gb is mandatory for my future purchase.

I will be using bootcamp for windows and will probably want at least 100gigs for it.

How much hard drive space have you used for your OSX partition?
    How much space would I need with Mountain Lion plus all the good apps?

Thanks

2. Orlandoech macrumors 68040

Orlandoech

3. rrm998 macrumors regular

rrm998

512 SSD, 282 used.

I'm using Parallels instead of the bootcamp option as the VM file is smaller than the bootcamp partition I would have created -- and I can easily reclaim space under Parallels when I do have the need to use a bunch of space under windows. Right now the PVM is using 18GB.

I'm not sure why, but I've found that I'm using much less space on my Mac than I did on my (now retired) Windows machine. I have all the same files loaded.

4. defektion macrumors regular

512GB SSD, 50GB used.

Adobe Photoshop, Illustrator, Flash, Fireworks installed.
    iWorks, Office for Mac 2011.

My iTunes Library, Virtual Machines are all located in my USB 3.0 1TB Ext HDD.

I have no issues running my VM's off it :)

256GB would have probably worked but I already put in my order before the BTO options were available.

5. CFoss macrumors 6502

512GB, 500GB used.

I'm really struggling for space. I've recently started compressing all of my AIFF music into ALAC, as my iTunes library is taking up the majority of the space (300GB or so). The other 200GB is shared among the Windows OS, Applications and Logic Studio content.

On the flip side, I'm really making the best of my system, there's no wasted content.

6. Teo Morabito macrumors member

750GB SSD, used 250GB

I like having exactly 500Gb free space :D

7. thatoneguy82 macrumors 68000

thatoneguy82

This is one issue that makes me hesitate from upgrading to the rMBP. I need a lot of space on board, not external. Right now, I have a 1TB HDD and a 256GB SSD. They are both ~85% full.

8. Arcsylver macrumors member

250.14 GB, 42.85 Gb Used.
    I store my iTunes iphoto and aperture libraries on an external USB drive connected to my airport extreme at home and my music is stored via itunes match so I dont need to store a lot locally. I plan to pick up a 3 TB usb external to upgrade my external storage unless I can find a nice Thunderbolt drive for around the same 149 price tag as the WD 3 TB USB 3.0 drive I am looking at.

9. switon, Sep 21, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 22, 2012

switon macrumors 6502a

10. jedolley macrumors 68000

I have a 512GB rMBP and I set aside 100GB for Bootcamp.

on my Mac HD I have only used 58GB, and on Bootcamp I have used 68GB. However, most of my media content and other important files are stored on a 3TB USB 3 External Drive. I also have 1TB of that drive partitioned for Time Machine.

11. MCAsan macrumors 601

MCAsan

Our of my 768GB, I have 640GB free. I keep my libraries of photos, music, documents...etc on an external Thunderbolt drive RAID 1 set. They would never fit on the SSD. The 600+ space on the SSD is used for photo capture during trips. Once home the photos are culled, processed and moved to the photo library.

12. rgr555 thread starter macrumors 6502

Besides media files (music, video, pictures), how much space is your OSX and Apps taking?

13. gbit macrumors member

256gb version: 100gb used
    usb3 external drive with 2tb for the rest

14. stuaz macrumors 6502

15. stevelam macrumors 65816

256gb. 211gb used. i have no media on my computer. 50gb is used for bootcamp.

16. rgr555 thread starter macrumors 6502

You're almost full. Would you have paid for the 512gb ssd if you could do it again?

This is what I worry about..

btw, what programs are you using that took up that much space?

17. DTKblaster macrumors member

256gb, split 100/150 for OSX/windows, both have about 10gb free, and only because I keep deleting stuff.

This is mostly because I pack it full of games, and I'm pretty sure it would still be full if I had 500gb

It doesn't bother me much, as shifting steam games onto an external drive is very easy and quick.

18. stevelam macrumors 65816

well i definitely would have preferred the 512gb upgrade but it was just a lot of extra money.

i'm eventually going to get rid of bootcamp altogether (honestly the only reason i had it on was to play guild wars 2 but now theres a mac version coming). this should give me back 50gb.

i also have several VM's installed for IE8/IE9/etc testing.

i have the majority of the adobe cs6 master collection installed, as well as a few cs5.5 applications (mainly indesign and flash cs5) due to file incapabilities with other people at my work.

my work files are taking up about 30gb of space which is actually all synced to my dropbox account. i plan on putting that all on a 64gb nifty drive when its out.

19. rgr555 thread starter macrumors 6502

I see.
    Thanks for that nifty drive link, looks awesome and definitely a good supplement for the 256gb. now im really leaning toward a 256

20. stevelam macrumors 65816

yah i figured if i can keep all my working files on the nifty drive that'll free up some space for me. i hope by the time its out, 128gb micro sd cards are more available and priced a bit more affordably so then i'll just use that in the nifty drive adapter.

21. Dark Void macrumors 68030

Dark Void

Only you can really determine how much space you will need. I don't see how surveying how filled up other drives are will help you out because it's a different user with different usage.

What is it that you do? If you see yourself needing 512GB of internal storage, go for it. If not, choose another configuration and keep in mind that there is always external storage. It's not the end of the world if you begin to exceed your internal storage capacity.

22. Dweez macrumors 65816

Dweez

I've got a 512 gig SSD, 333 gig used currently.

23. Engali macrumors member

I created a partition to run Windows for gaming when a Mac version isn't available. If you're planning on doing that then I suggest getting the 512gb like I did, especially if you're thinking about playing MMOs.

I have The Secret World installed in Windows, WoW in Mac, MS Office Pro in both, about 3 gigs of music, about 6 gigs of video, a small handful of documents, and maybe 20ish apps (including like 4 small games) from the app store. I'm pushing just over 200gigs in total. It's really nuts how much storage everything takes up now. And this is me trying to keep things lean.

I also backed the nifty drive because I like the idea of having a "semi-permanent" storage device that is well integrated into the machine. I hope some company comes out with a 128g micro sd card soon. My last computer just kept filling up and it was a huge pain to constantly delete stuff. So ya, get the 512gb IMHO.

24. glaseryaniv macrumors member

256gb, 80gb free. Need to clear up some space.
    I have about 5 gigs of music, 6 of movies and lots of fat video and graphic editing software. ALL of my material (video, photos, scratch and renders) are on external 2gb drives. For me it's good, but on the other hand I don't have a windows partition. Bottom line, if you need the partition then I think 512gb is the minimum.

25. MaxPower72 macrumors 6502

MaxPower72