rmbp how to use ethernet port?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by tbluhp, Jul 17, 2013.

1. tbluhp macrumors 6502a

I use the Feb 2013 edition the 15inch rmbp and see no ethernet port?

2. Quu macrumors 68030

Quu

3. entropi macrumors 6502

for that you you have to buy apples "thunderbolt to ethernet-adapter" - available at the apple store

4. cbs20 macrumors member

Or you can purchase a USB to ethernet adapter, for a lot less than Apple's Thunderbolt to ethernet adapter.

5. falcn macrumors member

falcn

USB is slow and prone to latency, TB is much better choice for things like Ethernet.

6. newdeal macrumors 68020

USB 3.0 is much faster than gigabit ethernet and works just fine I am connected to my network with a USB 3.0 hub that has HDMI, DVI, 6 USB ports and gigabit ethernet and it works just fine

7. scbond macrumors 6502

How do you own a laptop and not notice that it doesn't have an ethernet port?! As the others have said, you need to give Apple even more money to get a USB to ethernet adapter.

8. falcn macrumors member

falcn

9. sonicrobby macrumors 68020

sonicrobby

Some people buy stuff assuming the standards are still on it. I had no reason to believe they removed the ethernet port until I wanted to buy one and did extensive research on it.

10. falcn macrumors member

falcn

Ethernet port is thick. Thicker than rMBP.
    To solve this problem, other vendors use proprietary external adapters or even fragile retractable ports.

Apple decided TB adapter is a way to go.

----------

I was wrong. TB uses CPU too
    Comparison:
    http://fortysomethinggeek.blogspot.com/2013/04/thunderbolt-gigabit-vs-usb-30-gigabit.html

11. sonicrobby macrumors 68020

sonicrobby

I know why they did it =P Im just stating as for why someone wouldnt know the laptop didnt have an ethernet port.

12. Quu macrumors 68030

Quu

I just looked online for one of these but the ones that are cheaper than Apples are USB 2.0 which at maximum speed are only 480Mb/s which is half the speed of Gigabit Ethernet (1000Mb/s) the USB 3.0 ones I've found all cost $10 to $15 more than the Apple thunderbolt adapter.

Here is one example I found just from a Google search for "USB 3.0 Ethernet" http://www.ebuyer.com/483489-usb-3-...ium=products&gclid=CNTwyeXPtrgCFcfJtAodZXwAag

I'm in the UK so that adapter at £35 costs more than Apples which is £25 here.

And the adapter looks quite a bit more clunky than Apples. If anyone knows of a USB 3.0 to Ethernet adapter that is cheaper than Apples Thunderbolt to Ethernet adapter please reply as I'm interested in buying one.

13. lagisibuk macrumors 6502

agree with this
    I have trial thunderbolt -> ethernet and heat my macbook is increase for 10-15 degree, i dont know why
    but when I'm using usb -> ethernet, all stabil, fast and heat is normal :D
    just sharing, don't ask me why "heat is over with thunderbolt"

14. scbond macrumors 6502

Something you'd like to think everyone does when spending that much money.

15. ohbrilliance macrumors 6502a

ohbrilliance

Not necessarily. It's a fair assumption that a laptop would have an Ethernet port.

16. newdeal macrumors 68020

17. falcn macrumors member

falcn

I meant CPU utilization under full load.
    USB Ethernet relies on CPU, Thunderbolt uses as much CPU as built-in ethernet under the same load.

18. KevinC867 macrumors 6502a

I have this USB 3.0 to ethernet adapter: www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00A0ABQLM/
    In the US, it's $22 vs. $29 for the Apple Thunderbolt adapter. I have the Apple one also, but the USB 3.0 adapter works out better for me. I already use a 7-port USB 3.0 hub as my desktop "dock". I just plug in one cable and I'm connected to a few hard drives, a Blu-Ray drive and gigabit ethernet.

The Apple adapter would be just one more thing I would need to plug into my rMBP. It is more compact, but the short cord guarantees that it's sticking out right next to the laptop, rather than being tucked away.

19. scbond macrumors 6502

It's a bigger assumption that people should look into a product which they intend to buy, especially at such a high price.

20. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

If I'm spending $2500 on a product I'm sure as hell not assuming anything about it.