Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

yourtoys7

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 3, 2007
rMBP i5/8/256 or Air i7/8/256 (cheaper cause refurb.) 150. or so.
Which would you choose and why?

Freyqq

macrumors 601
Dec 13, 2004
rmbp. i5 of a 28 watt processor is faster than an i7 15 watt processor. Also, faster graphics and retina screen. Finally, extra ports.

Last edited:

Zodiac.mj

macrumors member
Mar 10, 2013
Had exactly that specs in Air, great piece of hardware. It won't be slower in day to day usage, it will just throttle for longer max CPU/GPU usage (video encoding for example). Overall it's a bit faster in some cases due to non retina res. But rMBP screen is magic, on the other hand.

channelinspire

macrumors member
Jun 23, 2010
Dallas, TX
I made that exact decision a few weeks back. That version of the Air wasn't int he refurb store so the Air was actually more than the mid rMBP. I've had two 11" Airs and really liked them but I went to an apple store and saw a retina screen. That made it a no brainer. More power and a better screen for the same money. I only lost a little battery life and .5lbs. Not enough to justify an air to me.

yourtoys7

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 3, 2007
I had 11' and loved it, have 13 rMBP now and there is something that I'm kind of 2cond guessing myself. I just ordered the Air from refurb. store and wanted anyones opinion. Sometimes people bring up points you haven't thought of...
I'll the Air this friday, will see how they stack up :confused:

PDFierro

macrumors 68040
Sep 8, 2009
I had 11' and loved it, have 13 rMBP now and there is something that I'm kind of 2cond guessing myself. I just ordered the Air from refurb. store and wanted anyones opinion. Sometimes people bring up points you haven't thought of...
I'll the Air this friday, will see how they stack up :confused:

It's all about the screen. That should seal the deal.

neteng101

macrumors 65816
Jan 7, 2009
I had a Haswell MBA 13" on order in July - cancelled the order and decided to wait for the rMBP. Really glad I did - the retina screen in itself is worth going for the rMBP > MBP. I run at 1440x900 which is the same resolution as the MBA, and everything is super sharp compared to the MBA - I had a 2010 13" MBA for 3 years, and there's really nothing I miss about its form factor/etc.

As others said - unless you need ultimate battery life (I'd get the 1.3 MBA over 1.7 for that too), go with the 13" rMBP. You won't be disappointed.

isephmusic

macrumors 6502
Oct 31, 2012
theres literally no reason to get an air vs a 13in haswell. with the decrease in size and weight the macbook air actually has a BIGGER footprint (its tapered edge goes out farther than the pro...)

the air is going to soon be canceled out. it feels so flimsy compared to the pro 13 and its not using an under clocked UVL chip lol

Orr

macrumors 6502
Oct 8, 2013
Get the Air if you want the longer battery life, otherwise get the rMBP.

This. There is literally no other logical reason left to choose the Air with the recently lowered price points of the 13" rMBP (that severely undercut current Air pricing) aside from budget constraints. And that only applies to the baseline stock Air models.

Candlelight

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2011
New Zealand
There is literally no other logical reason left to choose the Air with the recently lowered price points of the 13" rMBP (that severely undercut current Air pricing) aside from budget constraints. And that only applies to the baseline stock Air models.

Agreed.

Respectfully, I can't see why anyone would pick an Air over an rMBP. It's more powerful, got more ports and better screen. The only thing the Air gives you is better battery life. The rMBP is also lighter than previous versions so a few grams more couldn't hurt. :)

Kevclark1985

macrumors member
Jul 2, 2013
I had same question when looking to get my first macbook.

I decided pretty quickly that the Air was not worth it. The rMBP is small and light enough to carry around, the screen is much much better, the extra ports are handy (especially HDMI), it has a more premium feel to it.

I agree that the only reason to get the Air is if you really must have the extra few hours of battery life, I tend to think this would be a vast minority of people. The air would prob be great for businesses where people are travelling all day everyday to clients and only need office applications and long battery life (then it's perfect as it will last 12-15hrs), but for most other people the rMBP wins hands down.

The price point for the mid range 13" rMBP I think makes it a no brainer, that's what I got and I love it.

yourtoys7

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 3, 2007
Well, today came my Air, putting them side by side, and :D. Air doesn't even stand a chance. In the store its hard to tell, but at home, side by side its unbelievable.
rMBP looks smaller, feels little heavier, the screen is very, very sharp and mach brighter at max on both. Typing on Air is little more comfortable, the sharp edge on the Pro' hurts you hands just a little.
Air is going back to apple and I won't even consider air at all, 13" rMBP is amazing machine.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.