rMBP-Image retention + accidental damage repair?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Bajoni, Sep 14, 2012.

1. Bajoni macrumors newbie

Greetings,
    Recently dropped my 3 month old rMBP(with LG panel/image retention problem) onto a polished concrete floor from 3 ft. I think I got lucky with the damage. It functions perfectly well, and the damage appears to only be external so far.

Question is, will apple still fix the screen image retention problem with this damage? I am not near an apple store, so I can't check with a Genius.

Would also like to get the body fixed, not sure if this is a big repair...

Thanks all!

Attached Files:

2. bill-p macrumors 65816

Well, you can try your luck.

But from my experience, any cosmetic damage to the machine voids warranty concerning the operation of inside hardware. And I haven't seen any exception save for begging and/or threatening at very extreme levels at the Genius Bar.

Something along the line of "I'll commit suicide if you don't fix this computer" has worked once or twice.

3. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

ouchie wouchie that hurts me looking at it, I can see them saying that now voids your waranty

4. SchuettS macrumors 6502

I agree, it's hard to look at.. Because of this apple could argue that it causes the IR.

5. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

If they acknowledge that image retention is an issue they will replace the screen. If the drop damage prevents them from doing the repair, then that's really you own fault.

Think of it this way. You have a car under warranty and your front mounted motor dies. Then someone rear ends you. Will your car manufacturer say "sorry can't fix your engine, your rear collision damaged the front engine?" Probably not since they're not cause of one verses the other.

6. Dark Void macrumors 68030

Dark Void

How long have you noticed the IR? I would assume the first question they would ask is why are you bringing it in after you dropped it for IR instead of months ago.

As far as fixing the accidental damage, if it is purely cosmetic then I would try to deal with it as the repair cost will be high and it may not be worth it to you. If you care about how it looks though, by all means go through with the repair.