rMBP in clamshell 24/7

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by robo456, May 6, 2015.

1. robo456 macrumors 6502

robo456

It seems most of the threads I found on google were from a while ago, and wanted to get some more up to date suggestions.

I currently have an iMac 21 (2013, I believe) that I leave on time-to-time for remote access with LogMeIn. I was tempted to pick up a rMBP 13" from BestBuy since I have some coupons.

My question is, if I decided to leave the rMBP on for extended periods of time in clamshell mode, (enabling sleep mode, etc etc), would it have any adverse effect on the laptop itself? Or is it just the same as leaving my iMac on in sleep mode?

Hopefully I used the correct terms with explaining what I want to do, if not let me know and I'll give it another shot. :)

Thanks for any insight.

--rob

2. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 603

It'll be fine

Seems a bit of a waste of a laptop though why not a mac mini??

3. snaky69 macrumors 603

You wouldn't be able to do it if it was unsafe to do it. I keep mine cMBP in clamshell mode at home sometimes for days on end, I game on it as well in clamshell mode. It's fine, you're overthinking it.

4. robo456 thread starter macrumors 6502

robo456

I'm trying to consolidate my apple devices...

I have an old 2009 white MacBook, a hackintosh, and then the iMac. I just figured it'd be easier since the 2015 rMBP 13" is faster than what I have now, it'd be able to cover all of my bases in one machine.

--rob

5. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

I had a 2007 MBP that I would keep in clamshell mode for several days at a time. Served me well for three years before it got stolen.

Then I had a 2010 MBP that I did the same thing with. Served me well until I sold it for a 2013 MBA, which I did the same thing with.

Now, I have a 2015 MBPr13. BUT... while I use it stationary for a few days at a time, I don't run it in clamshell mode... only because there have been some who speculate that the unfortunately-named staingate might be caused by leaving your MBPr in clamshell mode... supposedly the heat causes the anti-glare coating on the screen to come off.

It's just a theory, and an unproven one. But I've decided my laptop runs just as fine open and stationary as it does in clamshell mode.

FWIW: I did clamshell mode for days at a time (instead of getting a mac mini) because I needed portability, but not all the time. The laptops would be in the office supplementing my iMac for a few days, then I'd go travel somewhere and I'd bring the laptop with me for a few days, then come back and repeat. It seems better to me to have it available and find some use for my laptop than just stuff it in a bag and forget about it for days at a time.

6. robo456 thread starter macrumors 6502

robo456

Thanks for the info poet, and everyone else... I appreciate it!

--rob

7. David58117 macrumors 65816

My 2012 cMBP 15" lived in clamshell mode for atleast a years with no problems. Worked fine after and never had any problems.

8. Aidic macrumors newbie

I have a 2012 rMBP that stays connected to a Thunderbolt Display when I'm not traveling. I just make sure the power profile allows the computer to sleep after a certain amount of time while plugged in. It's normally weeks/months between trips for me (average 6 weeks), and I just restart the laptop once or twice during that time, as normal.

9. robo456 thread starter macrumors 6502

robo456

10. Badrottie Suspended

Badrottie