rMBP incremental update to include 800, thoughts

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ZLurker, Jun 12, 2014.

1. ZLurker, Jun 12, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 12, 2014

ZLurker macrumors regular

Hi all,

I'm looking at the rmbp and think i'll buy one in the near future and have some thoughts about it. Im trying to find information to decide if i should buy the current one or wait.

Since it seems like the intels broadwell aimed for the rmbp won't come until 2015Q1 i don't see a redesign this fall. But one thing that might show up is the new geforce 800 maxwell graphics.

Is there any previous example where Apple put in a new graphics platform in a mid cycle update? Together with price drops for upgrades in SSD and RAM i think that could be a sweet midcycle upgrade.

Razor Blade is one example where the new 800 chipset is used.

What are your thoughts?

2. thundersteele macrumors 68030

This has not happened in the past. The best I can offer is an upgrade of the GPU within the same platform, e.g. the 6490M was upgraded to 6750M in the late 2011 models.

3. yjchua95 macrumors 604

Never ever going to happen.

Apple will only update both processor & GPU architecture together, and not either one.

4. hallux macrumors 68020

hallux

Considering a new GPU will require redesigning the traces on the board, they'll want to hold off on the GPU update until they're doing a new board design. A CPU spec bump won't require re-routing traces, just a simple swap of the CPU package they place on the board.

5. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I think introducing a new GPU for a speed bump is probably more work, cost and not worth the investment. That is the chipset will be replaced by Broadwell why spend a lot of money designing a new logicboard layout and buying new GPUs for something that will get refreshed later this year (or early next year).

6. ZLurker thread starter macrumors regular

Thank you all for the input,
    i totally agree that it would be out of character for apple to do it.
    One could hope though :)

I just wish that the lowest pricepoint for a discrete graphicscard wasn't so high. I think i'll wait untill next week to see if there is any updates when/if they do something with the iMac lineup.

Otherwise ill just go for it.

Thanks!