rMBP intense shutdown and sleep issues

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Cassadian, Oct 23, 2012.

1. Cassadian macrumors regular

Today I tried to shutdown my rMBP, I closed it but it was still awake after several minutes so I assumed it would take a few minutes more than put it in my backpack for several hours. When I next opened it, I found out that it had run out of battery because it hadn't shut down.

Furthermore, for a week and a half now, the computer takes approximately 15 seconds to load from sleep and the delay when closing is generally 5-7 seconds. Surprisingly a distinct contrast from just a couple of weeks ago.

And lastly, shutting it down takes a whopping minute. I'm honestly not sure what the issues are. T_T

2. Cassadian thread starter macrumors regular

3. MrKing macrumors newbie

MrKing

Not sure if it is a hardware issue but have you tried repairing disk permissions?

4. Cassadian thread starter macrumors regular

What is that?

5. Cassadian thread starter macrumors regular

6. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

This sounds more like the slow shut down speeds in ML. I find that both my MBA and MBP seem to take forever to shut down, sitting at the little spinning wheel for as long as 20 seconds before properly shutting down. I'd leave the lid open and wait until it ***** down properly.

Another thing you could try is an SMC reset...It helps for a while:

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3964

7. brueck macrumors regular

8. nontroppo macrumors 6502

nontroppo

Use shutdown logging (part of verbose boot) to see where shutdown is hanging:

You can do it deliberately on each boot:

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1492

But I prefer to enable / disable it via the command line:

Code:
    sudo nvram boot-args="-v"
    and to disable:

Code:
    sudo nvram boot-args=""
    OS X used to have a shutdown log in Console, but that is broken as of mountain lion...

9. Cassadian thread starter macrumors regular

I reset the SMC twice daily (usually) due to issues seemingly caused by the previous EFI update. I am not sure if the recent Graphics Update has fixed it but resetting the SMC or PRAM/NVRAM doesn't seem to have changed this. However, the rMBP not turning off until the battery ran out seems to have been just anomaly.