rMBP internet interrupts abruptly, low upload speeds

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by kokemut, Sep 8, 2013.

1. kokemut macrumors newbie

Feb 8, 2013
    I've got a rMBP 2.6GHz i7/16GB RAM, that I purchased 2 months ago and after restoring my TimeMachine backup of the old MBP, I've noticed internet (Wifi) issues as follows:
    - internet interrupts during downloads of large files or during speedtests on speedtest.net I have to restart in order to get back online
    - constantly getting very low upload speeds

I don't know if this could be a software/hardware issue. Frankly, I don't know if these issues were there prior to the TM backup...

I, also, installed Mavericks DP7 (I have a dev acc) and the issues are persisting

Any input is appreciated

Attached Files:

2. nickandre21 macrumors 6502a

Jun 21, 2012
    does the issue occur on any other devices on the same network?
    It can be a hardware/settings issue. for which you would need to verify if the same issues occur while on networks form different routers.
  3. kokemut thread starter macrumors newbie

Feb 8, 2013
    I have a pc and another 13'' retina macbook.
    none of the issues occur with the other devices, not even with the ipad
  4. aiyaaabatt macrumors 6502

Aug 25, 2013
    might be because you are connected to a 2.4ghz wifi signal? the ivy bridge rMBP's are known to have ****** internet when connected via 2.4ghz. The common solution seems to be to just simply connect to a 5ghz connection.

So, make sure you have a router that is dual band, 2.4ghz & 5ghz.
  5. priitv8 macrumors 68030

Jan 13, 2011
  6. kokemut, Sep 9, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 9, 2013

kokemut thread starter macrumors newbie

Feb 8, 2013
    Thanks for the answers

I haven't tried with a 5 GHz modem, I guess I shall try that first, before sending it for repair.

I don't understand why a restart would temporarily fix the issue, except the slow upload, being a constant thing. Can it be a hardware problem? The modem card being faulty?
  7. kokemut thread starter macrumors newbie

Feb 8, 2013
    Also, any wireless router suggestions?

Sorry for the post cluster
  8. kokemut thread starter macrumors newbie

Feb 8, 2013
    Update: I did a clean install of Mountain Lion after erasing everything and everything works just fine.
    This seems more of a software issue to me at this point, I just don't know what could affect the up/down speeds to react that way

Thanks for the attention!