rMBP internet interrupts abruptly, low upload speeds

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by kokemut, Sep 8, 2013.

1. kokemut macrumors newbie

I've got a rMBP 2.6GHz i7/16GB RAM, that I purchased 2 months ago and after restoring my TimeMachine backup of the old MBP, I've noticed internet (Wifi) issues as follows:
    - internet interrupts during downloads of large files or during speedtests on speedtest.net I have to restart in order to get back online
    - constantly getting very low upload speeds

I don't know if this could be a software/hardware issue. Frankly, I don't know if these issues were there prior to the TM backup...

I, also, installed Mavericks DP7 (I have a dev acc) and the issues are persisting

Any input is appreciated

Attached Files:

2. nickandre21 macrumors 6502a

does the issue occur on any other devices on the same network?
    It can be a hardware/settings issue. for which you would need to verify if the same issues occur while on networks form different routers.

3. kokemut thread starter macrumors newbie

I have a pc and another 13'' retina macbook.
    none of the issues occur with the other devices, not even with the ipad

4. aiyaaabatt macrumors 6502

might be because you are connected to a 2.4ghz wifi signal? the ivy bridge rMBP's are known to have ****** internet when connected via 2.4ghz. The common solution seems to be to just simply connect to a 5ghz connection.

So, make sure you have a router that is dual band, 2.4ghz & 5ghz.

5. priitv8 macrumors 68020

6. kokemut, Sep 9, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 9, 2013

kokemut thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the answers

I haven't tried with a 5 GHz modem, I guess I shall try that first, before sending it for repair.

I don't understand why a restart would temporarily fix the issue, except the slow upload, being a constant thing. Can it be a hardware problem? The modem card being faulty?

7. kokemut thread starter macrumors newbie

Also, any wireless router suggestions?

Sorry for the post cluster

8. kokemut thread starter macrumors newbie

Update: I did a clean install of Mountain Lion after erasing everything and everything works just fine.
    This seems more of a software issue to me at this point, I just don't know what could affect the up/down speeds to react that way

Thanks for the attention!