rMBP - Is Ghosting Still An Issue in 2013? (Other Issues?)

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by AluminumQ45, Jul 3, 2013.

1. AluminumQ45 macrumors newbie

I know the early rMBPs had serious ghosting issues with the LG displays, but my question is really with the current ones.

If I pull the trigger today on an rMBP is there still a 50/50 chance I'll get a crap screen?

What about the other issues (kernel_task going crazy, heat, fans, poor scrolling)?

2. sonicrobby macrumors 68020

sonicrobby

As far as I know, its "possible" but "unlikely". I have one of those first gen LG screens on my 2012 15"rMBP that are prone to the ghosting issues , but I have yet to encounter the issue. And as far as I know, those arent used in the 2013 models, I believe.

As for the rest, Ive experienced heat, but not its not to the extent for me to complain about. Then again, Ive been used to one of those huge Asus gaming laptops that produce very "generous" amounts of heat, I may have just gotten accustomed to it.

Fans make a sound when I play my games, but again, relative to other laptops, its pretty low.

Also never noticed any scrolling issues on safari, or any other app yet. But that's just me

3. AluminumQ45 thread starter macrumors newbie

4. lagisibuk macrumors 6502

My retina display is LG screen, but I dont want to testing ghost screen or whatever it's name.

I just using my macbook, when "ghost" come, of course I will replace/return to apple. (I hope when ghost coming, my warranty still valid hahahaha).

from april until today, nothing happen, so i think this ghost will not coming :cool::cool:

it's from my perspective...

5. bobr1952 macrumors 68020

bobr1952

6. Acronyc macrumors 6502

I'm kind of curious as to how the current machines are faring as well. Last week I noticed minor image retention on my mid 2012 15" rMBP with a first version LG screen, bought in December 2012. I haven't had any issues with it until now. It's not too bad in that it is rather dim retention, only affects the left side of the screen, and takes between 5 and 10 minutes to appear. However after some work last night I could clearly read text retained on the screen for about 10 minutes.

Thinking of taking it in to get looked at, but I have 2.5 years left of Apple Care so I might just wait until it gets a little bit more noticeable. The screen is perfect otherwise and I'm a little reticent to take it in because there's always the risk of getting something worse after it's repaired.

7. nickandre21 macrumors 6502a

got the 2013 rMbp Assembled around the middle of June, its got the samsung screen and though i do not notice ghosting during my usage when doing that test it showed faint ghosting. Other then that no issues it does get warm i do hear the fans when doing some rendering but its not as annoying as what my previous cMbp used to sound like.
    Plus apple has a good warranty all you need is to find a good genius or service centre and your lifes sorted.

8. joshualee90 macrumors member

Here is an update on how apple views Image Retention. I visited my local apple store on Sat. It was the flagship store here in Toronto at Yorkdale mall after I had noticed some minor image retention for a few weeks. I have a retina i purchased in December with a LG screen. I believe it was assembled around then. The genius informed me even before we started that all Retina computers will have image retention minor or not. They have created a standard of what is acceptable amount of IR and what it is not. If it is acceptable they will not replace it. They have their own test for IR but it is basically the checkerboard test you can find online. They preform their checkerboard test for 4 min and after that 4 min if you see the checkerboard IR it means it fails. If not like in my case it passes and there is no replacement. It sucks since I use my machine for video editing and I have the same screen up for long periods of time so IR does become an issue but otherwise the computer has been solid for me so I guess it is a give and take.

9. thundersteele macrumors 68030

This seems reasonable, in principle. In the past CRTs (very old ones) would be in danger of burning an image into the screen - that is why screen savers can be found in any OS. While newer LCDs do not take permanent damage from static screen displays, IR is still possible on LCDs. So establishing a limit for acceptable IR instead of saying that all screens with even the slightest amount of IR should be replaced is reasonable.

On the other hand, if it affects the use of the machine I wouldn't accept it. While I wouldn't care if a 24 hour checkerboard leaves some traces on the screen, if it appears during a normal work flow (say e.g. 30 minutes text editing - will the frame of the text editor be retained for a significant amount of time afterwards?), I wouldn't accept it.