rMBP just started to ghost

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by No1iSaHero, Jan 27, 2013.

1. No1iSaHero macrumors newbie

My retina macbook pro 15 inch has begun to start ghosting. whenever I'd have a window up for a while and head toward the desktop screen I see the reflection of the previous window.
    I bought the computer the first day it came out and it just started to act up on me, do you think I can get it repaired? Its really starting to bug me.
    I have a samsung screen by the way.

2. M5RahuL macrumors 68020

M5RahuL

Well, that's ....new....for a Samsung screen...

But, yes....you can def. get it fixed at no charge, as long as you can convince the 'Genius', or if it fails Apple's rediculous IR Test !

3. joec1101 macrumors 6502

Take it to an Apple store Genius Bar. They're well aware of the issue and will replace it.

Mine shipped with an LG and didn't develop IR for a few months, but when it did, I took it in and they replaced it with a Samsung.

4. Jamesesesesess macrumors 6502a

Replace the screen or the entire laptop? Mine's had IR for a while, amongst other bugs, but I don't want to waste my time at an Apple store if they're just going to tell me to re-calibrate it or something (they did that with tint issues on my previous RMBP that eventually got replaced).

5. NStocks macrumors 65816

I'm going through a similar process with Applecare... Ghosting on a 5 month old 15" as well as severe light bleed and a weird pixel discolouration as well as popped/crackling speakers :(

I'm ringing Applecare back tomorrow to ask for a replacement and to try and send in the evidence via email, rather than going to an Apple store and waste me time as it BTO. I really wish that Apple allowed for email support to those whom purchased online. A picture or video demonstrating the issues is much better than describing them.

I refuse to accept a repair on this too. We know how expensive these displays are and it's just not worth the risk of having someone take apart a very complex Mac where they run the risk of internal damage. (I read that these Retina display models are much more difficult to repair and must be in a "clean room" rather than a standard workshop)

6. Jamesesesesess macrumors 6502a

Same here, I have those damn crackling speakers. Some other minor (but annoying) issues include the popping unibody, graphic mess-ups (sometimes an icon will completely distort, parts of Safari freezing, taking forever to wake up from Sleep), and it has a bit of a tint.

Someday soon I'll probably call up AppleCare and see if they'll do anything for me. While these are issues that I could deal with, they shouldn't be appearing on a laptop I paid $2,400 for.

7. NStocks macrumors 65816

It's very very annoying considering how Apple market these. It makes me wonder if anyone in the "Apple Family" also experience similar issues. Ive for instance is working on iPhone 7 and keeps seeing faded images of iPhone 6 due to stupid image retention!!!

I really don't like calling Applecare. They try to help by saying "reset the RAM" which puts me on hold as they first needt to "check resources"! When that doesn't work they normally suggest I travel over 100 miles to have a Genius look at it... I ain't doing that. I purchased online so that I don't have to travel.

Seriously, when I call I'm just going to be upfront with them and say I want a replacement. I'm not going around in circles describing to each Rep what the problems are. This is why email support is much better.

How old is your RMBP?

8. Jamesesesesess macrumors 6502a

My RMBP just crashed as I was typing my response to this :eek:

Hahaha good one with Ive :D

I can relate, the closest Apple store to me is about 2 1/2 hours away... I'm certainly not going to drive that far with the possibility of not even getting a replacement. I think the first store that I went to just had awful customer service anyway, they had bad Yelp reviews, but I think Apple should be a bit more accommodating to use since these laptops are so expensive. I forgot to mention another issue, sometimes when I close the lid, instead of going to sleep, the fans go on full blast and it heats up badly. I always catch it when this happens, but if I didn't notice, wouldn't that be a fire hazard?

If you've already talked to reps, that's probably the best idea. It's obvious that resetting PRAM or reinstalling OSX isn't going to fix it (I've done both many times).

9. NStocks, Jan 27, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 27, 2013

NStocks macrumors 65816

Yep, the first call with an Apple Rep was very unclear and hard to understand. The call broke up in the end!

When I call tomorrow, I'll just say that we were talking about a replacement. They know that these issues are present and, if not, a few faulty units won't cause any harm to be replaced.

I'm quite disappointed that for Apple, these issues still occur. I mean, when Mr. Joe goes to buy his £300 ASUS laptop, I bet he has no issues like this. Yes it's crap hardware anyway, but it's almost an unheard rule that when your buy a Mac, you need to check it for scratches and screen issues. That's very sad but true.

10. hkim1983 macrumors 6502

Mm, I think that has more to do with the mac being the more expensive computer, and thus you tend to scrutinize it a lot more. When I had my two Acer ultraportables for awhile, I didn't really care about things like that because I viewed them as, *ahem* "disposable" (and they both ended up developing bizarre keyboard issues that required replacement...). That is definitely not the case when I buy a mac though, lol.

11. NStocks macrumors 65816

Fair point and I think that most people see Mac's as an investment, it makes sense to look over them in detail.

12. iaymnu macrumors 6502

Bring it to an apple store. If you can show them the problem they will replace it for you. I have a samsung screen on one of my 15" and LG on the other 15". I got them to replace the LG to a samsung.

As long as you can duplicate the problem on the spot, you have a case.

13. derbothaus macrumors 601

derbothaus

That's the trick, isn't it?

Can we please use the correct terms for this. Ghosting is in ALL LCD's. Even 120Hz 1ms TN gaming display's.
    Image retention is the issue everyone is hyper complaining about.

14. anarti macrumors regular

I had and LG screen on my rMBP, it was ghosting, then I went to apple store and they replaced it for me.

Now I get Samsung screem and had skype windows up on the screen for good 10-15 minutes, than I shifted it and there was a bit of a ghost:) Couldn't believe:)

As soon as I draged the window elsewhere it dissapeared in a split of a second (it took a while on LG screen to get back to normal btw).

It's not a problem for me but this is kind of "interesting" on Samsung screens :)

15. NStocks macrumors 65816

I've been on the phone all day with Apple and they won't replace it. I was eventually put through to someone higher up and she said that she has never heard of a straight replacement. (BS it happens all the time!) I told her about the 400+ page on the Apple forum about the screens and referenced the first 25 pages with how many replacements were issued (27), despite a repair being available to them, even in store!. (also sales of good act where the consumer has a choice)

She wouldn't budge :(. I have to send it in if I want it fixed. She said that some of those replacement may have been with 14 days... Who cares, it is still in warranty until 2015! Oh and they didn't even know that. My Applecare was never updated correctly, despite buying it 5 months ago.

I completely understand that they need to see it's faulty and I sent her plenty of evidence to which she agreed it is "faulty". (They also know about ghosting by the way and just palm it off as almost normal, linking me to the Apple support page.)

The main reason I told her I didn't want a repair was because of very poor experience in the past. 2 cases actually where the AASP scratched the case quite badly and the 2nd couldn't find the problem, even though Apple knew there was one when I sent evidence. That turned into a 6 week ordeal and I eventually got it replaced.

It's so frustrating knowing that so many people have a replacement. They are also very strange about that fact that I bought it online so that I don't have to travel 100+ miles for a "Genius" to say "Yep, it's defective". They don't get why buying online means that they must not expect a customer to travel...

I guess I will send it in one day and hope it doesn't get damaged. I also hope whom ever repair is (most likely AASP) will actually run a proper "test" to see the IR. (so leave a page on screen for a minute, swipe across and see that it is still present)

16. mpayne2k macrumors 6502a

mpayne2k

What is the best method to test for this ghosting or image retention on the new screen? It sounds like for most the signs don't show up for a few months, luckily Apple offers 12 months of warranty!

I haven't seen any hue issues, white balance looks good and no signs of ghosting or IR, but I've only used mine 5 days so far! Hopefully the issues don't begin in a few months, so this is why I would like to know the best tests to run to check.

17. NStocks macrumors 65816

I didn't really "test" for it. I just noticed it recently when I switched my wallpaper for grey and changed apps. I found other screen issues too :( I said "test" so that the AASP can see what the issues are, under a given parameter. Basically set your background to grey (solid colour), then just keep a contrasting image like checker-board on the screen for unto 15 minutes. Come back and swipe to the desktop background. If the checkers remain, you have IR. You can try resetting the PRAM but it didn't work for me.

18. STiNG Operation macrumors 6502a

STiNG Operation

I've been holding off buying a new rmbp for the next update to see if they fix this.

I don't get it. This sort of problem should have a recall.

19. NStocks macrumors 65816

It's not on all models though, that's why most people are probably happy with the overall thing. I can't believe they won't even replace mine, I don't mean to sound like a spoilt brat but this is not like Apple. At all. They KNOW there are some faulty screens and want customer to pay again for the time and inconvenience of having it repaired. My unit has crackling speaker issues too so it's not going to be a simple job. I just know something will go wrong.

I don't get Apple anymore. They've reported the best quarter ever and still don't have great products, even customer service. I just hope these are isolated cases. (which I don't think they are given so much talk about them)

20. STiNG Operation macrumors 6502a

STiNG Operation

Yeah I get it. I'm not so sure this is an isolated batch. I've checked some local store displays. Ran the terminal code and they were LG screens with the image retention. YouTube and other sites have reports of recently purchased rmbp still having the problem.

21. mpayne2k macrumors 6502a

mpayne2k

Are the crackling speakers due to the speakers themselves or the soundcard? For example, if you plug in headphones, do you still get the crackling sound?

22. NStocks macrumors 65816

It's the speakers themselves.

Whomever repair this is literally going to have to take out every single piece :(. I've not idea how much that will cost, but I doubt the offset of a replacement is much greater. It comes with less potential risk of damage too.