rMBP keyboard feel vs MBA

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by radiohead14, Oct 29, 2013.

1. radiohead14 macrumors 6502a

someone over at the Air forum mentioned that there's a noticeable difference between the rMBP and Air keyboards. i currently have both 11" Air and Haswell 13" rMBP.. at first.. i thought they were exactly the same, but now that it's been 4 days using the new rMBP.. i do believe that the Air has a better keyboard.

first, the Air's keys are slightly more concave where the 4 corners of the keys are slightly more raised. the key travel is also more on the Air.. which is surprising, considering the Air has less space underneath the keyboard.. you'd think that the rMBP would have more travel. it's a very slight difference, but it does make for a considerable difference in feel. i wish that the rMBP keyboard was exactly the same as my Air's.

anyone else notice this?

2. JSalig macrumors 6502

I have a 13" MBA and rMBP. I haven't noticed a difference and don't really feel an inclination to compare. Unless there's a distracting issue, I don't give keyboards a moment's thought.

3. TooSmooth macrumors member

These could be because your MBA's keyboard is worn down after 2 years of use

4. aiyaaabatt macrumors 6502

ALL Macbook keyboards have a "range" in terms of "quality," some may be stiffer, some more soft... this is the same in any one line of macbook, be it the air, or the pro, the 13'', or the 15''...

You can have two macbook air's side by side and one keyboard be stiff, while the other feels much softer/better...

It is a crapshoot, really... and comes down to personal preference anyways.

That being said, the keyboards in the Air vs the Pro - are the same keyboards.

5. rMBP2013 macrumors member

Are you sure?

I noticed that Air's keypad travel was a bit less than the Pro (at the Apple store at least).