rMBP Keyboard Light Bleed

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Squilly, Mar 21, 2013.

1. Squilly macrumors 68020

Squilly

At a perfect angle, I noticed a small amount of light bleed under each individual key of my rMBP. Tilt it and you'll see specs of light within the cracks/seams. It's not the backlight of the keyboard, turned off. Try it, report results.
    [​IMG]

2. B... macrumors 68000

B...

Perfect angle
    Small amounts...

Does this bother you on a regular basis? Could light bleed impact the computer at all (battey life etc.)?

Sorry if this comes across as sarcastic...actually curious.

3. Squilly, Mar 21, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 21, 2013

Squilly thread starter macrumors 68020

Squilly

Perfect angle for some keys and different angles for other. ie. one angle, you see the light bleed on the power button, another angle and you see it on the "A" key.
    It doesn't, but I'm just pointing out a problem. Who knows.... maybe.

Anyone else see it but me?

4. Asuriyan macrumors 6502a

If you're describing what I think you're describing, that's a characteristic of pretty much any backlit chiclet keyboard. If not... maybe another picture in lower lighting would help, cause I can't see anything at all in the one you provided.

5. e²Studios macrumors 68020

e²Studios

Are people seriously this.. wow.. lol.. just wow..

6. Squilly thread starter macrumors 68020

Squilly

Check right beneath the command/option key.

7. JeffiJers macrumors 6502a

omg every one of my keys have light bleed :eek:

trackpad is fine for now thankfully

8. Brian Y macrumors 68040

Yes, it's completely normal. They keyboard is not sealed, and the keys move up and down. What exactly did you expect?

9. laurihoefs macrumors 6502a

laurihoefs

Nobody seems to have noticed this little detail from the op:

10. Ploki macrumors 68000

It's not really lightbleed, rather light reflection. cover keyboard with hand just above the phenomena

11. Asuriyan macrumors 6502a

No, I caught that. Let me offer a possible explanation.

Your backlit keyboard isn't composed of LEDs under every key. Rather, there are two or three in the palm rest or adjacent to the keyboard, and light is carried to each key, usually by a transparent plastic grid or similar that reflects the light internally and diffuses it, not unlike a light pipe or a fiber optic cable.

So if your screen is on, and light is entering that grid from another point, it would conceivably be reflected and distributed across that grid as it would from the light source it was designed to work with.

As I said, this is pretty normal on backlit keyboards, though generally so dim as to be inobservable.

12. aman20177, Mar 25, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 21, 2017 at 12:11 AM
  13. Squilly thread starter macrumors 68020

Squilly

That's like saying light bleed from a monitor is normal with "gaps".

14. aman20177, Mar 25, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 21, 2017 at 12:14 AM
  15. Squilly thread starter macrumors 68020

Squilly

That's why I said "that's like"

16. syd430 Guest

Let's ignore the fact that every backlit chiclet keyboard in the history of personal computers has this exact characteristic. It's not relevant. OP has been screwed over royally. Apple need to compensate the OP a minimum of $300,000 for the psychological hardship this has caused.

17. leman macrumors 604

Its some light getting reflected by plastics under the keys, if at all (I can't see any light bleed on the picture your posted). I fail to see how this can even remotely be considered a problem.

18. Squilly thread starter macrumors 68020

Squilly

Look under the option key.

19. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

Yes, it would be normal for a monitor with gaps in it to have light bleed, but that's not how monitors are build. Keyboards have gaps in them, what do you think will happen, the light will just choose not to go through it?

20. Stetrain macrumors 68040

Looks like a reflection from under the key, probably due to the light guide under the keys that distributes the backlight.

The keys also have white plastic pieces underneath that are part of the physical movement mechanism.

It's definitely not 'light bleed'. I really don't see why this is a problem.

21. Ploki macrumors 68000

FOR GOD SAKES PEOPLE. It'S reflection from the screen.

Turn screen light FULL and cover the bottom half of it - the "light bleed" magically disappears.

And it's impossible to remove that effect without significantly complicating and redesigning the encosure...

22. chrise2 macrumors 6502

Fixed!

I duct taped a USB keyboard on top of the laptop keyboard. Sure I can't close the lid any more, but that's a small price to pay for sweet, sweet keyboard darkness.