RMBP keyboard shot and not sure why

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by macbook123, Sep 4, 2013.

1. macbook123 macrumors 68000

Two weeks ago something got under my space key making it resistant to being fully pushed down. I managed to remove that piece by taking the key off and vacuuming gently in the area but the rest of my keyboard has a lot of resistance, and the space key itself is still not registering all the time, especially toward the right side where I usually hit it.

What could be going on? In particular, how can a particle getting under the space key make the whole keyboard become too "springy"?

I really want to avoid sending this in because it's my only computer and I have several deadlines to adhere to for work.

2. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

1) send it in to be looked at, I assume there is still a warranty.
    2) If a computer is mission critical to your role in life then always have a backup. Even if it's a cheap windows box.

3. w00t951 macrumors 68000

w00t951

I would assume that pushing down on the foreign debris damaged the keyboard switch or mechanism in some way. If the small arms that hold the key onto the keyboard were bent or damaged, you may be encountering more resistance. If the switch itself is damaged, that may account for your intermittent loss of responsiveness.

4. macbook123 thread starter macrumors 68000

Thanks. Do you think this could have also affected other keys, or should it be limited to the space key?