rMBP keyboard too shallow

es1

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 26, 2014
Tested new rMBP today and the kayboard was too shallow. It was the shallowest keyboard of any laptop in the store. There's no feel anymore when you type. The older rMBP had a bit more travel in the keys but it seems that since the new rMBP is slimmer they had to make the key travel shallower too. But There are many laptops like Samsung ATIV Book 9 etc that are even slimmer than Macbooks but don't have as shallow keys.

Hirakata

macrumors 6502
Mar 17, 2011
Burbank, CA
tested new rmbp today and the kayboard was too shallow. It was the shallowest keyboard of any laptop in the store. There's no feel anymore when you type. The older rmbp had a bit more travel in the keys but it seems that since the new rmbp is slimmer they had to make the key travel shallower too. But there are many laptops like samsung ativ book 9 etc that are even slimmer than macbooks but don't have as shallow keys.
ok.

andalusia

macrumors 68030
Apr 10, 2009
Manchester, UK
Tested new rMBP today and the kayboard was too shallow. It was the shallowest keyboard of any laptop in the store. There's no feel anymore when you type. The older rMBP had a bit more travel in the keys but it seems that since the new rMBP is slimmer they had to make the key travel shallower too. But There are many laptops like Samsung ATIV Book 9 etc that are even slimmer than Macbooks but don't have as shallow keys.
I agree, actually. I've just bought a 13inch rMBP and I'm finding it difficult to get used to typing on the keyboard, it doesn't feel as obvious as my old Macbook from 2009. I'm sure I will adjust but it's taking me a little while!

Radiating

macrumors 65816
Dec 29, 2011
It will take around 5 hours for you to adjust to this extreme problem.

M5RahuL

macrumors 68030
Aug 1, 2009
Colorado
Hmm.. I actually prefer the new keyboard over the classic style.. I know it's an individual choice ultimately.. but I love this new keyboard!

I can type much faster with fewer errors and the whole experience is so much smoother for me.. A quick/short depress and off to the next key!:)