rMBP & Keys Impacting Screen (Shaggymac required?)

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Falundir, Jul 26, 2012.

1. Falundir macrumors member

My rMBP arrives tomorrow and was curious if people were running into the age old problem of the oils from the keys transferring to the screen when closed.

Thoughts?

2. AzN1337c0d3r macrumors 6502

I haven't had this problem with either my Late 2011 17" Macbook Pro or my rMBP. As usual though, if you transport your laptop around, the dirt/hair/whatever from your keyboard seems to fall out, so cover your keyboard up with a cloth anyways.

3. Swayzee macrumors member

I used to have that problem on my 13" mbp and so i had bought the radtech screen protector. I ended up buying the 15'' one for my mpbr and it has no problems and fits perfectly. No finger prints on my screen and i feel a little better knowing theres something cushioning my screen.

http://www.amazon.com/RadTech-Scree...TF8&qid=1343332843&sr=8-1&keywords=radtech+15

4. squeeks macrumors 68040

squeeks

if i remember correctly from the hour or so i spent with it..the rMBP screen i believe is set inside a lip, so you should not have that problem. Though i could be mistaken.

5. Robertsmania macrumors member

I'm actually kind of concerned about this. I find that my screen shows clearly that the keys are incontact with the screen when its closed.

It seems like just a matter of time before the glass will be damaged.

Are others seeing evidence that the keys actually touch the screen while its closed?

6. Herrow macrumors regular

7. terraphantm macrumors 68040

Mine definitely leaves oils on my screen. i've been using that thin piece of foam that shipped with the laptop to protect it

8. stuaz macrumors 6502

Yeah that is right. I haven't had the issue of oils from the keys on the screen.

9. terraphantm macrumors 68040

The lip is a compressible material, and the keys are (slightly) raised above the alumnium. Mine definitely leaves oil on the screen

10. mgartner0622 macrumors 65816

mgartner0622

I've found the best solution is just to wipe down the keyboard every 2-3 days with some water or very light windex to remove the residue from the keyboard and keep it from getting on your screen.

11. vpro macrumors 65816

vpro

Kept original packaging.

I kept using that original, thin foam packaging, :apple: placed between the screen and top case. I have the keyboard protector as well. If I am traveling I take the keyboard protector off, leaving the thing foam sheet between the screen and keyboard.