rMBP lag issue gone?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by millerrh, Nov 18, 2012.

1. millerrh macrumors 6502

I had been holding off on the new Retina MBP because of the UI lag....something that would just drive me nuts. As well as most apps were not retina ready. When it first came out I played with a floor model and the stuttering and lagging was very evident.

Just went to the Apple store today and played with them again, but didn't notice any of the same UI lag that was there when these computers were first released.

But I'm still reading things on here about lag existing. So is it fixed or isn't it? What update was it that seemed to make the most difference?

More apps are retina ready now and I think if this lag is really fixed now I'll be ready to jump on board.

2. markus843 macrumors regular

I haven't had lag on mine, ever. Pretty sure it's fixed if there was a problem. If not, then you can always return it. Also, yes there are more retina apps, but still pretty limited. If only logic pro was retina ready ... :rolleyes:

3. GrandPhrase macrumors 6502

I think it was the EFI 2.0 update that was released specifically for the mid 2012 Macbooks, I think a week to a week and a half ago. It supposedly increased the vRAM from 384MB to 512MB for those that didn't have it.

Did you update?

----------

Tried out Logic Pro 9 on a 13" rMBP at an Apple store a couple weeks ago. Actually, it didn't look as bad as I thought, but yeah they should update it soon.

I'm sure Apple is hectic as **** with their schedule, production delays, updates, app approvals, etc. After all, they are just one company handling eclectic processes, unlike other distinct companies that control software, hardware, etc. separately. Actually, more and more and handling the start-to-finish processes, but none seems as busy like Apple. Lol.

4. markus843 macrumors regular

Not sure if it's updated or not, I got mine 3 weeks ago and was straight no lag right out of the box :D. Also, samsung screen so I'm lucky. Although it could've updated by itself :rolleyes:

5. rrm998 macrumors regular

rrm998

I remember a lot of discussion in June on the in-store demo app itself causing some of the really bad lag observed in the Apple Store. I don't recall if that was ever proven or not. I do know several posters who complained about lag in the store reported seeing none (or a lot less) on rMBP they purchased.

The original units were running Lion. We are now several revisions into Mountain Lion. This plus the recent EFI release does seem to have helped. That said, I was never very sensitive to the issue. I moved over from Windows so my expectations for a completely smooth scrolling experience were a lot lower.

6. GrandPhrase macrumors 6502

By the way, I'm assuming this is the 13" rMBP? At the Apple stores, the 13" rMBP did actually feel quite a bit smoother compared to the 15" rMBP. I don't know if the vRAM was actually 512MB before release or the lower number of pixels for the 13" vs 15" (about just over 1 million less pixels) has made it smoother than the 15" or whatnot, but yeah..

Hope you enjoy it! :D

Edit: I actually have a 2010 cMBP and am planning to upgrade to the next 2013 MBA, which will very likely have a retina display. With Haswell and its Intel HD 5000 graphics, hopefully the UI lags will be minimal.

7. Spicedham macrumors regular

From my experience owning both a 13" and 15" rMBP no more lag but ui fps are not as fast as on a non retina macbook pro.

8. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Overall, I do not have UI lag, but I still have issues with Safari.

9. Rhinoevans macrumors 6502

Jump in, however, someone will always find things to complain about.