rMBP Late 2013 13" Battery Tips

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ReetC, Nov 5, 2013.

1. ReetC macrumors newbie

Hi, I just got a rMPB 13" Haswell and I'm going to use this laptop for quite a while and fell in love with it instantly. I just have a couple of concerns in regards to usage and battery.

SPECS: 2.8GHz i7, 8GB 1600 MHz DDR3, 512 GB SSD

Some of these concerns are, if i accidentally remove the magsafe a couple of times when I'm charging will that affect the overall health of my battery life?

If I leave my MacBook to charge overnight is that bad because it can lead to overcharging? + if I leave my macbook charging and the magsafe shows green is it bad to keep it on when it's fully charged?

I was getting mixed answers on a couple of forums and since this is a new model I'm assuming a couple of things might be different here and that's why I'm asking. A hundred apologies but try not to ***** on me if the question has been answered somewhere else but as a student purchasing a $2100 laptop, I just want to know forsure.

Thanks guys!:D:apple:

2. Brian Y macrumors 68040

Don't worry about it.

Unplugging it every so often doesn't hurt. Your battery is designed to do 1000 full charge cycles (that's 100,000% of usage) and still hold 80% of it's charge. If it fails to do that before 1000 cycles in 1 year (3 if you have Applecare) Apple will replace the battery.

Remember you can always pay $199 for a replacement battery.

3. ReetC thread starter macrumors newbie

Hold up, for $200 they'll install a brand new battery? I thought everything was soldered on to the board?

4. AlecMyrddyn macrumors 6502

The RAM is soldered on, and cannot be upgraded. The batteries are glued in, and are difficult to replace, but there is the ability to do so.

See the iFixit teardown.

5. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

No.
    No, once it's fully charged, it automatically stops charging and runs on AC power.

Run on battery whenever you need to and plug it in whenever you can. You can plug or unplug any time you need to, regardless of the charged percentage, and you never need to completely drain your battery. Just make sure you don't run on AC power exclusively, as your battery needs to be used regularly to stay healthy.
    The link below should answer most, if not all, of your battery/charging questions. If you haven't already done so, I highly recommend you take the time to read it.

6. Brian Y macrumors 68040

The batteries are glued (well, double sided taped) to the top case. The $200 will be a new top case + battery (they come as one unit).