rMBP Late 2013 battery draining insanely

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jarruemota, Apr 6, 2014.

1. jarruemota macrumors member

Hi,

I've been having concerns about my battery life for a couple of days now. On a RMBP that's supposed to handle 9 hours of battery life, I was only getting about 3 or 4 hours. I had to charge my macbook as if it was my iphone (you can imagine)... Today I open up my macbook (left it at 96% the last time I used it) and it had 75% left of battery. I do some web browsing and leave it open for like 10 minutes. When I come back and wake it up from sleep, I only have 12% of battery left! THAT IS CRAZY!

Now I'm really skeptical about what's going on. Please if someone has encountered the same problem give me a solution! Is it Mavericks or what?

2. simon48 macrumors 65816

simon48

First the 9 hours is while only basic web browsing without Flash installed.

For you, could we see what's using the most CPU power in activity monitor? A screenshot of the battery pane in activity monitor might help too.

3. tmoerel macrumors 6502

Are you browsing the web using Google Chrome? Because Chrome is a power vampire.Chrome is not optimised whatsoever and drinks from your battery like there is no tomorrow!

If you are using Chrome just try to use Safari instead for a while and check if this improves things!

4. yjchua95 macrumors 604

I can never understand why so many people prefer to use Chrome over Safari.

5. tmoerel macrumors 6502

Because people like to share all their personal information with the Do-No-Evil do-gooders of Google :)

6. Xerotech macrumors 6502

9 hrs on minimal brightness, but it does seem to drain faster than usual. Run the coconut battery and see what's the lifespan on it. I still get roughly 4-5 hours on my 2011 retina 15"

7. dylin macrumors 6502a

dylin

are you sure you don't mean 2012 retina 15"?:confused:

8. Xerotech macrumors 6502

Typo, good catch. Yes, the 2012 first release rMBP with the excellent ghosting on LG screens. :(
    Apple did replace it with a flawless tint-yellow-free screen.

9. tigress666 macrumors 68040

Curious, is it worse than Firefox in that regard? I actually prefer Firefox as my favored browser but use Safari when on battery because Safari is definitely better on battery use. But even on my new rMBP the battery still lasts a decent amount of time with Firefox. My old laptop, a 2010 MBP, lasted about 3-4 hours with Firefox.

10. yjchua95 macrumors 604

Chrome's worse than Firefox in power consumption (I also use Firefox myself).

11. tigress666 macrumors 68040

Dang, that's pretty sad... I always considered Firefox a power hog.

12. simon48 macrumors 65816

simon48

While it could be better, I've always thought people were a little bit too hard on Chrome and Firefox's optimization. Being a first party app and being the app Apple uses to get battery life statistics, Safari is obviously going to be able to get a bit more love in the optimization department than the others.