rMBP Late 2013/Early 2014 - UI lag unbearable.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by BluAffiliate, Feb 20, 2015.

1. BluAffiliate macrumors regular

Hey guys,

I have a late 2013 rMBP base edition that I have for work. I also purchased the same model (2014) for 2 of my team members and they are seeing the same thing. The machine has become really slow with significant UI lag, choppy videos, and for myself in particular extremely slow if a site has Flash elements or an animated GIF on it.

Do you guys know if this is common and if there's an easy fix? The machine was blazing fast when I got it, and I mostly use if for the same thing now as I did then: Chrome, and MSWord/Excel.

Specs:
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/b3njw9lifn38oik/Screenshot 2015-02-20 06.38.42.png?dl=0

2. TheIguana macrumors 6502a

TheIguana

There are a lot of people on this board who have had ongoing issues with web performance and Chrome on their rMBPs. Have you tried using Safari? Do you see similar performance issues with it?

3. BluAffiliate thread starter macrumors regular

Yes,
    This lag is system wide. Even the animations when resizing windows for example, will be choppy and laggy. I also have to use Chrome for a work related addon that only works on Chrome.

4. gbrug1995 macrumors newbie

Ah someone with chrome problems.

Had it too. No UI lag. But severe battery drainage and heating on chrome while doing nothing.

No problems with safari tho.

5. Meister Suspended

Meister

That sounds extreme an unusual.
    Have you tried an external screen?

6. gbrug1995 macrumors newbie

Have you tired PRAM/SMC reset?
    And recovering just the OS through the recovery? Maybe this replaces the corrupted files.

An older version of Google chrome?

Maybe going to about::flags and enabling these 2?

http://i.imgur.com/xMPqKIg.png

7. BluAffiliate thread starter macrumors regular

I used this, didn't seem to help.

----------

My employees are both seeing this as well.

8. Meister Suspended

Meister

Have you tried an external screen?

9. BluAffiliate thread starter macrumors regular

It's the same whether on the main screen or an extended monitor, so I think it's a CPU or software issue.

10. Meister Suspended

Meister

Sounds like a software issue.
    Try a complete OS reinstall.

11. Markisss88 macrumors regular

Markisss88

Also having a ton of issues with Chrome - going to try a different browser moving forward for leisure. Thankfully I only use my Mac for work when at home. Let me know what works best for you.....

12. yep-sure macrumors 6502

yep-sure

Sounds like you're using Yosemite. If so, downgrade to Mavericks.

13. stevemiller macrumors 65832

my suspicion is that more often than not, it is coding rather than hardware that causes these issues. i've seen first hand stuff going out the door glitchy and poor performing, sometimes because there weren't enough time/resources, sometimes because of web 'standards' that are inconsistently implemented across browsers and platforms, and frustratingly often simply because someone turned a blind eye to polish.

for example, this very forum has major stutters when horizontally resizing on my 2013 rmbp on safari. on chrome it doesn't specifically stutter, but the resizing frame rate is generally low. but scroll vertically on either and its a smooth 60fps. also, i can horizontally resize other websites (ones that appear graphically heavier than this forum, no less) and they appear far smoother.

14. aquilc, Feb 22, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 22, 2015

aquilc macrumors member

Is the SSD full?

Although SSD offers the benefit of more speed than Hard Drives, they hinder overall performance when they get filled up near to the space capacity limit.

To check how much space on your ssd / hardware is being used on your Mac click on the Apple logo on the top left hand corner select About this MAC and go to the Storage tab.

If you suspect that the Mac is getting slow whilst using Google Chrome, try using Safari for a few days and see how things will go.

Also check if you have extensions installed on Google Chrome.

Also try clearing up the Google Chrome temporary data go to type: chrome://history/ in the url bar of the browser, and clear all history including Cookies etc.
    Do not forget to backup your saved passwords if you save website password in your browser.

As for Microsoft Office for Mac, check if any updates were installed lately. Or try to re-install the software and see how things go.

If none of the above solves the issue, re-install MAC OS X (back to 10.9 Mavericks). Yosemite is known to be slow. Perform a data backup first.
    However if you want to use Yosemite, then I suggest to install Yosemite (not as an upgrade from Mavericks) but as a clean installation.
    You can download the MAC OS X Yosemite from the App Store, make a bootable USB pen drive bootable and boot from it. Be sure to format all the partitions found on the Drive. Also perform a data backup and backup your settings of your MAC including any software that you use like Outlook (Mail server settings etc.) before re-installing the OS.

15. newellj macrumors 601

Yosemite runs as fast as Mavericks ever ran on both this Mini and my rMBP. I second the suggestion that the OP try reinstalling the OS (either), assuming the disk isn't full or nearly full.

16. David58117 macrumors 65816

Hm - you know what OP?

I recently bought a 2014 13" MBPr as an upgrade from my 2012 15" MBPc - and it is definitely slightly more choppy at certain things than my 2012 was.

But that computer had an SSD and 16 gigs ram - I bought the stock model 2014 MBPr.

I'm using the same apps as I had on my last computer (including Safari), and if I didn't have both computers side-by-side I wouldn't of noticed it. But it is there, even out of the box.

17. newellj macrumors 601

Did you have the dedicated GPU on the 15"?

18. David58117 macrumors 65816

Yep. But it doesn't use that during web browsing etc and would only switch with games. I had an app to monitor it.

Also - I tried my wife's stock 11" 2014 MBA and hers was smoother than my new retina mbp.

It's like a very slight stutter - but it's there.