rMBP Late 2013 & Paralells 9

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by trocLas, Mar 21, 2014.

1. trocLas macrumors newbie

Hi,

I'm getting my Macbook Pro 13" Late 2013 (256GB SSD and 8GB RAM) by the end of March. I'm thinking of installing Paralells 9 (for Windows 8.1 or Windows 7) in order to use some specific Windows only apps (like Zeiss Axiovision, a scientific software, that doesn't require much resources from the virtual machina) and Microsoft Office (to edit some files in Excel and/or Word from my work). I don't think I am going to use resource intensive apps in the virtual machine. So, I would like to ask how much RAM and how many cores (1 or 2) should I allocate for the virtual machine!

Thanks!

2. vicfalc09 macrumors member

vicfalc09

3. Barney63 macrumors 6502a

Barney63

Slightly off topic, but you can save yourself quite a bit of money by buying Parallels 8 rather than 9.
    Not sure of the functional difference though.

Barney

4. vicfalc09 macrumors member

vicfalc09

5. trocLas, Mar 21, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 21, 2014

trocLas thread starter macrumors newbie

rMBP Late 2013 & Paralells 9

So, there shouldn't be any slow down problem if I assign 1/2GB RAM and 1 core to the VM for the use I mentioned, right?

@Barney63
    I believe Parallels 9 brings more optimization and integration with OSX Mavericks!

6. Praxis91 macrumors regular

Praxis91

I have to use some apps for work on W7 x64 on P9. I dedicated 4 cpu's and 4GB RAM, but I could easily do the work with 2 cpu's and 2GB RAM.

7. simon48 macrumors 65816

simon48

2 "cores" (they're really threads, they're mislabeled and Parallels) and 3GB of RAM should give you nice speedy performance for the VM and OS X.

I would not advise buying older versions of Parallels as they use kind of slimy business practices and force you into paid upgrades to keep running with the newest OSes. I'd always buy the newest version to get the most out of it.

8. Barney63 macrumors 6502a

Barney63

At the moment I'm running the 14 day trial of PD9 (using the 14 day reset hack) until my PD8 arrives. If it is no good I will be able to do the *upgrade* to PD9 for $49.

Barney

9. tomhall macrumors newbie

tomhall

Thanks to the SSD in these MacBook Pro's you'll be able to run Windows via Parallels quite comfortably. I'd advise one CPU core and 2GB of RAM - you can always tweak those settings as and when you like.

10. lancdoc macrumors newbie

rMBP and parallels 9

I have used parallels on my late 2012 rMBP which has 16G of RAM to allocate 2 cores and 4G memory to the VM. I use voice recognition extensively which is a memory hog and works flawlessly. I also have used Microsoft office and Outlook without any issues. I can't say that I have ever noted any impacts on the MAC side of the system so I haven't tried to do with less allocation on the PC side, but it may be possible. After a year of use I have to say that running Windows 7 as a VM in parallels has been a much easier and hassle free solution than any PC I've used in the past.