rMBP Late 2013 Price Drop?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by DubelBoom, Jun 6, 2014.

1. DubelBoom macrumors newbie

Hello :)
    I'm planning on buying the rMBP 13" on the end of July, when I will have a friend traveling to the US to bring it for me to here in Israel (if I buy here is at least double the price!).
    Sadly, I missed the opportunity of a friend travelling last week, just before WWDC, because I was hopping for a new rMBP or rMBA :(

Anyway, the price seems to stay very high, and it will be a pretty "old" hardware on the end of July. I don't mind that, I mind that the price is still high, as expected from a newly released hardware and not an old one.
    My question is, do Macs have a price drop eventually? This is the first time I'm following the prices so I don't know how it usually goes. Also, is there any holiday with discounts soon?

Thanks!

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Not really, they tend to stay the same price, even when the technology is getting long in the tooth

A great example of that is the price of the Mac Pro (before it was updated). You were paying a lot of money for old technology.

3. DubelBoom thread starter macrumors newbie

:(

Thanks!

4. 5to1 macrumors 6502

In the UK at least, you tend to see some offers around refresh time. Although thats usually from third party stockists rather then Apple themselves.

While sometimes the HW can seem "old" considering the price, in this instance I'm not sure what you consider old? Other then the dGPU everything else still seems reasonably current hardware wise.

5. DubelBoom thread starter macrumors newbie

Hmm OK, I will take a look at UK stores. I have a brother flying to London also at the end of July.

And "old" hardware (I put it in quotation marks for a reason ;)) is mainly the CPU. Broadwell brings better battery life, and may make the computer slimmer.
    But its mainly because I can't handle buying old technology haha

6. Tunster macrumors 6502

You might want to consider a Late-2013 rMBP from the refurb stock. Got mine next day after ordering and was £250 off compared to a new one (allowed to go from 256GB to 512GB for same price). Pretty much like new and feels like you're getting more value. I;m in the UK as well.

7. 5to1, Jun 6, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 6, 2014

5to1 macrumors 6502

Yes but Broadwell isn't looking likely to appear for at least half a year, let alone in the quantities for Apple to switch to it. The next CPU generation has to at least be imminent (or IMO start to be deployed in machines) before we can start calling the current one "old" :D If we continue on this trajectory things are going to be "old" while they're still on the drawing board :D

WRT the UK I was just saying when we see discounts. I very much doubt even with a discount a UK machine would work out cheaper then buying from the US.

8. DubelBoom thread starter macrumors newbie

I have the almost 1300$ to spend, I just want it to be on a new hardware and not old.. :D
    Also, I really don't like buying refurbished devices..

Broadwell-Y (Core M) should be available by Christmas. Broadwell-H that will be used in the rMBP will be released later.
    Anyway, I don't mind not buying Broadwell, I just want to pay a proper price for by Haswell based computer.

And I checked in the UK, its 1099 GBP before VAT refund. I guess I will wait to buy at the US.

Thank you everyone, I think I will just pay the high price. It seems Apple aren't the only one keeping prices high for end of last years hardware.

9. 5to1 macrumors 6502

Yep, as I said 6 months (XMAS) and more for the rMBP. I think you're looking at the wrong metric to determine when a price drop should come. Yes we'd possibly see one by now, but thats not because its the end of last years hardware, its because the next revision of hardware is usually due shortly within this time frame.

That is not the case this time due to Intels delays with Broadwell. If Broadwell gets pushed another 6 months, in January Haswell will still be commanding the same strong price, as it would be the best there currently is with nothing on the horizon for a long time :/

WRT UK pricing, yes its pretty poor compared to the US. I tend to get mine via the edu store (have students in the household) which knocks ~15% off and gives 3 years HW warranty.

Anyway good luck.

10. DubelBoom thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks, I guess I will just get the Late 2013 model on Late July from B&H.
    You helped me make up my mind, thank you! :)

11. Charadis macrumors 6502a

Directly from Apple, I don't expect to see any price drop for any of their MacBook line, except on occasions like back to school or Black Friday deals. You'll more than likely find better deals from 3rd party/authorized resellers, like b&m and online shops. The warranty/registration for the products comes just the same as buying direct, with the exception of the return/exchange policy.

I recently purchased my Pro retina from BestStopDeals via eBay's "Daily Deals,". They also ship to Israel if you can't wait, but the shipping would negate the discount, and with added extra cost. :eek: Sent from my MacBook Pro.

12. DubelBoom, Jun 6, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 6, 2014

DubelBoom thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm not planning on buying directly from Apple because of the tax. B&H does not charge tax for any orders outside of NY state. (I have no idea what the law says, but I guess its legal..)
    Sadly shipping to Israel is not an option because of the HUGE import taxes on shipped packages :(

EDIT:
    I will probably order today. 200$ is a lot of money and I don't think it will go any cheaper than that.
    I just hope there will be more available until I will have time to order.
    Thanks for sharing this! :)

EDIT2:
    Just bought it, thanks ;)

13. Charadis macrumors 6502a

Sorry, haven't logged on in a while; long trip to TN. :) Congrats! $200 is a lot of money, and it was enough push to move me to buy it. Seeing your import shipping/fees, however, is quite an expense! I wish you all the best, and hope you enjoy your new toy! Welcome to the club. :apple:

14. DubelBoom thread starter macrumors newbie

Now I'm just counting the days.. haha

Is your unit already shipped?

15. MCAsan macrumors 601

MCAsan

Lots of states in the USA have a fall tax free weekend to help people get kids ready for the return to school. Here in Georgia you can get computers up to $1500 with no sales tax. Next door in South Carolina there is no limit on the cost of the computer. So if you want a really good bargain, you order a refurb unit from Apple on your state's tax free weekend. For example a top of the line 15inch rMBP is $500 off as a refurb...with full warranty. Not paying sales tax saves another $150 (depending on your local sales tax rate).

So if you have someone in the States order a machine for you, consider a refurb unit on tax free weekend....usually in late August or early Sept.

16. DubelBoom thread starter macrumors newbie

Late Aug or early Sep is too far away, because I need a friend to bring it back from the US.
    Anyway, already ordered the rMBP 13" base config for 1099$, no shipping or tax from eBay.
    Now I'm waiting for it to be shipped, which seems a bit too long... Sent the seller a message.

17. SCOLANATOR macrumors 6502a

SCOLANATOR

I think if there was a tax free weekend in the UK the country might just implode.

18. Charadis macrumors 6502a

That's so awesome! Mine is already here, delivered in two days! :D I ordered the first time they dropped the price, a couple of weeks ago. They shipped really fast for domestic shipping, but I don't know how they are with international. Sent from my MacBook Pro.

19. DubelBoom, Jun 11, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 11, 2014

DubelBoom thread starter macrumors newbie

The shipment is to CA, not Israel. But the problem is its still not shipped from the seller.

EDIT:
    just got the shipment confirmation with tracking number :)

20. Charadis macrumors 6502a

Yay! I'll bet you must be excited! My tracking didn't show up until after I inquired about it, then I found out it was already shipped out the day before and in transit. I've acquired a permagrin ever since opening it up, and I can't stop using mine. :D Sent from my MacBook Pro.