Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Upgrading?

• Yes

Votes: 10 31.3%
  • No

Votes: 22 68.8%

• Total voters

domineus

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 7, 2010
Hi all

I have a late 2013 rMBP (15 inch, 512 GB SSD, 16 GB RAM, i7 with NVIDIA graphics card. The new mbp's will be announced tomorrow.

Anyone with this configuration considering an upgrade? Part of me is just to see the new factor of course. But I'm curious to see if anyone with this configuration is considering upgrading.

radus

macrumors 6502a
Jan 12, 2009
I have this ( with 1TB SSD ) for a part of my work. Until now there we no sufficient updates to justify an upgrade. I hope this will change tomorrow. Lets hope for a geekbench of 17.000, 2TB SSD, OLED touch display with pen input, LTE connectivity, Fingerprint sensor, Thunderbolt 3 with hdmi2.0 and displayport 1.2 adapter, nearly silent fan ... .

QCassidy352

macrumors G5
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area
Voted before I read the whole post. My late 2013 is a 13", but I see no reason to upgrade. I don't want to lose all my legacy ports, which I use every day, and the haswell processor is still plenty fast.

domineus

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 7, 2010
I have this ( with 1TB SSD ) for a part of my work. Until now there we no sufficient updates to justify an upgrade. I hope this will change tomorrow. Lets hope for a geekbench of 17.000, 2TB SSD, OLED touch display with pen input, LTE connectivity, Fingerprint sensor, Thunderbolt 3 with hdmi2.0 and displayport 1.2 adapter, nearly silent fan ... .

Agreed. My thought was to upgrade in 2014 but the major change was the force touch trackpad. It wasn't enough to justify the upgrade. I do need the ports (especially for my RX1RII or iphone or Android devices). I don't mind USB Type C for charging but the USB 3.0 and Thunderports are really necessary.

I am not sure I need more than 500 GB though. I also noticed some of the keys on the keyboard look like the macbook keys and I am concerned about general keyboard travel.

I guess upgrading is based on:
1. How much I can get for my current rMBP
2. How much the new rMBP will cost
3. Ports and features

Hopefully there's a new display with this and new processor and maybe a lower price point (who am I kidding this is Apple). But we will see

jerryk

macrumors 604
Nov 3, 2011
SF Bay Area
Agreed. My thought was to upgrade in 2014 but the major change was the force touch trackpad. It wasn't enough to justify the upgrade. I do need the ports (especially for my RX1RII or iphone or Android devices). I don't mind USB Type C for charging but the USB 3.0 and Thunderports are really necessary.

What is it that older USB or Thunderbolt ports have that you need and cannot get with a cable or dongle?

USB-C is compatible with the older USB spec. You may need a cable with a different connector, but it is USB. In addition, the UBC-C support Thunderbolt-3 so older thunderbolt devices that used the mini Display Ports/Display Port should work with cable or dongle. So if there are, as the leaks show, 4 USB-C ports on the device you should have all of the connectivity you need. Also power for charging the device can be passed via a USB-C cable.

Last edited:

robvas

macrumors 68040
Mar 29, 2009
USA
Right out of the gate I need 2 USB-C to USB adapters to just plug in my external HD and my iPhone

ag29

macrumors 6502
Oct 7, 2014
Sounds like you have an awesome powerhouse of a laptop that can last you many many more years without feeling outdated at all in terms of raw power. Things like battery, force touch trackpad, faster ssd, overall slimmer size, will all be better in the new Mac's.

I have a late 2013 and it's the most basic retina macbook pro 13 inch..128GB storage 4GB ram. I will be updating because I want more storage and ram..and a better processor, as well as better battery life.

sarakn

macrumors 6502a
Feb 8, 2013
I have the same model as you, but with 1TB. It has worked beautifully for me over the past 3 years and I'm glad I made the change from dell to mac. However, I probably would buy another one - this time a 13". If the 13" comes with 16GB ram and a 1TB storage, I'm going for it. If it comes with more, I'm still going for it.
I travel a lot and I find the 15" feels a little too big. I hope the 13" of today will perform just as great as the 15" of 2013.

New_Mac_Smell

macrumors 68000
Oct 17, 2016
Shanghai
Hi all

I have a late 2013 rMBP (15 inch, 512 GB SSD, 16 GB RAM, i7 with NVIDIA graphics card. The new mbp's will be announced tomorrow.

Anyone with this configuration considering an upgrade? Part of me is just to see the new factor of course. But I'm curious to see if anyone with this configuration is considering upgrading.

Do you need an upgrade or simply want an upgrade? If you want one, then buy it, if you need an upgrade because you're finding your computer slow, then buy it. If neither, then why?

domineus

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 7, 2010
Do you need an upgrade or simply want an upgrade? If you want one, then buy it, if you need an upgrade because you're finding your computer slow, then buy it. If neither, then why?

I haven't really decided to be honest. But I wanted to hear feedback from the community though

New_Mac_Smell

macrumors 68000
Oct 17, 2016
Shanghai
I haven't really decided to be honest. But I wanted to hear feedback from the community though

If you're not in need of an upgrade, i.e. your current computer handles all your needs just fine. I'd hold off, maybe put the money towards investing in accessories such as a possible upcoming display from Apple.

I don't think the new design will be anything revolutionary to the previous generation. So it's something that would be a little faster here and there but all the new product excitement would probably wear off after a few weeks.

So if you need one, upgrade! Otherwise hold onto that money.

andreyush

macrumors 6502a
Oct 24, 2015
Dude...Even a macbook pro late 2011 is a powerhorse at the moment. I don't think that we will see a big performance bump in CPU or GPU today. From 2012 untill 2015 the CPU's are so similar in performance.

Freyqq

macrumors 601
Dec 13, 2004
I never buy first gen after a redesign. Often too many issues that are fixed in the next rev. Also, I'm not a fan of the MacBook keyboard that may be used in these.

Last edited:

Texxy

macrumors 6502
Aug 16, 2011
I never buy first gen after a redesign. Often too many issues that are fixed in the next rev. Also, I'm not a fan of the MacBook keyboard that may be used in these.
Definitely not worth upgrading Late 2013 rMBA 15"...especially after todays announcement.

Reactions: iRunSlow
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.