rMBP LG Screen

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by RussellJones, Sep 10, 2012.

1. RussellJones macrumors member

Got my retina macbook pro saturday afternoon, got it home and loved it ever since until I noticed some slight IR on the screen. After a quick google I found out about the LG/Samsung screens that apple have been using.

Just wondering what people think I should, I have read many people have been returning them and entering a lottery trying to get a samsung screen, anyone have a LG screen that has progressivly got worse. I am going to need it to last roughly 4 years and don't want to be stuck with a ruined screen.

Also I know that apple provide apple care free for 90 days, so I didn't buy the extra care because I thought I would wait and use the 90 days free but would this cover me against any future IR problems if it get worse

Thanks

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

The 90 days is free phone support. You have a warranty for a whole year and if you call with a real problem after 90 days you'll not get charged.

As for the screen, if you're unhappy with it, then return the laptop, though there's no guarantee you'll get a samsung screen

3. RussellJones thread starter macrumors member

hi, thanks for the reply

I think I may return it product if it get any worse during the first 14 days. I bought it from an official apple reseller not an apple store, does this mean that I have to go though them or can I return it to either?

4. Orlandoech macrumors 68040

Orlandoech

The reseller you went through. Only warranty will can be done at the Apple store for you now.

Also, the LG screen is as good as the Samsung, I dont see why you want to return it so badly to enter a lottery of trying to get a Samsung screen.

5. RussellJones thread starter macrumors member

I love the LG screen, I just don't want the IR to get to an usable state and be left without any cover

6. Orlandoech macrumors 68040

Orlandoech

You have a warranty for 1yr by default, how is that left without any "cover"? Seems like you just want a Samsung screen when its no better/worse.

7. zipur macrumors 6502

Are you sure your screen is bad?

The more I read about these Retina issues the more I believe this is mass hallucination. Are you sure your screen is bad? If there were no forums I bet everyone would be happy. I’ve read where people have returned seven systems. Can that be real, can the QA be that bad? And if one person got seven bad machines why aren’t there thousands of complaints? Why isn’t there a line outside the doors of the apple store with people exchanging the system? I noticed the same issue in the New Ipad. I think if the quality of the macbook pro was half as bad as these forums claim considering that macbooks are a much smaller percentage of Laptop market being used, apple would be out of business.

8. mac jones macrumors 68040

Don't waste your time on deaf ears.

I think this type of hysteria is actually rather interesting, and a sign of the times. Perhaps one interesting question might be who exactly are the people who are returning these more than 3 times? What are their socio-economic, age , race, and gender, profiles?

Care to guess on this folks? :D

9. RussellJones thread starter macrumors member

I want anything but to return the computer, the nearest store is a 90min round trip, and I have just finished transferring from my old mac. I just wanted some reassurance that the screen isn't going to deteriorate from someone else who has had a LG model for longer than two days.

10. mac jones macrumors 68040

A return isn't going to do you any good. All it would do is entrench you further into this madness.

If there was a defect, you have a year to enforce your warranty. Otherwise, the only defect is in your brain :D

In other words, if there's something wrong with these (very unlikely), it will flush out down the road, and you will be able to go to ANY Apple store and have it replaced, as even the stubborn employes will have been briefed.

So just relax and enjoy!

11. Orlandoech, Sep 10, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 10, 2012

Orlandoech macrumors 68040

Orlandoech

I completely agree, its ludicrous. I have had two rMBP with no issues at all, first was an LG screen and it was perfect. I only returned it because I wanted 16GB ram.

12. bogatyr macrumors 65816

IR can get progressively worse. I had this issue with my iPad 2 and ignored it for about 6 months. It started out needing specific backgrounds and time periods of the screen to be left standing still.

When I took it to the Apple Store after the 6 months of ignoring it, it was very quick and easy to reproduce without any special steps required. Open any web page (App/PDF/whatever), and go to the home screen - IR is left for all the elements of the previous screen. Definitely much worse than it originally came.

Personally, if my rMBP has the problem I will get it fixed ASAP after my experience with the iPad 2.

13. toondw macrumors 6502

14. RussellJones thread starter macrumors member

The screen looks great, the colours look great compared to my iMac 2010 which now the whites look yellow compared to this. I can really see the IR where the windows have been open along the outline, generally when I have the dark gray background, other than that its not noticeable. I was just worried about it degrading.

15. Orlandoech macrumors 68040

Orlandoech

Lol so you only see it when the dark grey BG is selected? Since when do most people just use that for a default wallpaper? Its not real world day to day scenarios.

16. wiznet macrumors regular

I have a Samsung screen. I have slight image retention.

As said above, the whole "LG Screen" thing is completely false. Samsung screens are the same as them, in chances to have the issue or not - as can be seen by mine.

I can only see my IR if I use my laptop for a while, shut it down, and then shine a light directly onto the screen where the top bar is. I can't notice it even if I place the darkest background and use a magnifying glass - so I'm not returning it. If it gets annoying in real-life scenarios I will return it.

17. AzN1337c0d3r macrumors 6502

6 LG screens here across 3 different rMBP. All got progressively worse as time went on. And don't give me ******** about me being picky. When you're in XCode and read a page of code for 10 minutes and move on to the next, you can still clearly read the last page of code is a big problem.

Each time I took the computer to the Genius Bar after 45 minutes car ride, had them open Safari for 5 minutes while I chatted with them, and then minimize and all of them agreed that is not normal. Dark grey background, blue backgrounds, light grey backgrounds. All were clearly visible on each of the 6 LG panels.

Finally spoke to a Senior Manager and he used some kind of system via serial number to get me a Samsung screen and no problems of IR and couldn't be happier with the laptop now.

18. RussellJones thread starter macrumors member

How long did you use the screens before this happened

19. AzN1337c0d3r macrumors 6502

They all showed signs of IR upon opening of box. However, the first 3 screens I attempted to use them for a couple of weeks to see if I could bear it. They got progressively worse over time.

1st screen: 3 weeks.
    2nd screen: 2 weeks.
    3rd screen: 2 weeks.
    4th screen: 5 days.
    5th and 6th: Returned immediately being able to reproduce IR with checkerboard image after immediately after opening box in store with manager witnessing.

20. JohnDoe98 macrumors 68020

Had a Samsung screen replaced by an LG due to a hotspot on the Sammy. Well, at first my LG seemed fine other than bei g a tad dimmer. Now after a month, I see plenty of IR all over the place. Its gotten much worse ith time ony takes a couple of minutes working on an email, in Finder, or in Safari and the image will follow me almost eerywhere there is a light or grey background, like n the defaut galaxy background, in preview in full-screen mode, while watching movies...

I'm also too busy to return this right now so I'll have to live with it for a few months.

21. RussellJones thread starter macrumors member