rMBP Logic Board dead

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by 99ta316, Jul 7, 2012.

1. 99ta316 macrumors newbie

So after using my rMBP for almost two weeks doing mostly Office Suite items, and about 10 hours of Bootcamp to play games, my logic board (genius bar verified) dumped on me. Was working on a spreadsheet and then it locked up on me and shut down. They wanted to capture the laptop to send to engineering to see why it blew it up after two weeks so they could possibly fix a QC issue, Hardware issue, or some other engineering issue. Now I get to wait another 4 weeks to get my rMBP. :( I would have a rMBP if I didn't want the ram upgrade from 8gb to 16gb.

Things I ran on it:
    MS Office 2011 for Mac
    TrueCrypt 7
    VMWare Fusion 4.13
    Screen Resolution Changer
    BootCamp Win 7
    Symantec Endpoint Protection
    Free Memory
    LockScreen 2
    and all the preinstalled OS X apps

So sad right now. Back to using my 2010 15" MBP.

2. kdoug macrumors 6502a

kdoug

At least you have a computer. I've been using this dickless iPad until my rmbp gets here.

3. Gomff macrumors 6502a

If you had it less than 2 weeks, you should just have asked for a new one or your money back.

No need to be without after such a short period of time....Apple have a 14 day money back service.

4. Dangerous Theory macrumors 68000

This is effing hilarious. If I could +10 you I would. :D

5. cmdrmac macrumors regular

Sorry to hear about your loss. This is the first logic board failure that I am reading about, but at least you'll be getting a new machine in a few weeks. I guess the only consolation is that by the time you get your new machine, there (hopefully) will be more apps and websites that are retina-ready.

6. mohsy90, Jul 7, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 7, 2012

mohsy90 macrumors 65816

mohsy90

Had a similar issue, but it was just my wireless card that went completely dead. Started off by giving me problems connecting and then it got to the point where it just wasn't turning on at all. After trying SMC-reset and reinstalling lion I took it in to apple and a genius verified it was no good and wanted to send it for a capture to see what went wrong. Luckily I was still within my 30-day return policy at Best Buy so they, BB, swapped it for a new one.

7. 99ta316 thread starter macrumors newbie

I am getting a new one. Just taking 3-4 to configure and ship from China. Since I upgraded to 16gbs of ram none of the stores have it in stock. I could of purchased another MacBook for the time being that that they would of taken back full refund once the new one got there. Didn't feel like dropping another $3k for a loaner Mac for a month. Transfer data, configure, setup only to return and have to go through it all again.

8. Gomff macrumors 6502a

Ok, sorry for your loss....hope the new one works out :)

9. magbarn macrumors 68000

Reading your thread means I'm going to do heavy bootcamp gaming marathons to 'burn-in' this rMBP. I'd rather do a return/exchange than waiting several weeks for a repair.

10. 99ta316 thread starter macrumors newbie

The repair would of been 5 to 7 days. I just wanted a new one since it was brand new and they really wanted my macbook to send to engineering to figure out why it blew up. Hopefully mine blowing up will help them fix an error in manufacturing or engineering.

11. darwinian macrumors 6502a

darwinian

Hopefully, there was no error in mfg or engr and this was a one-off problem.

12. TLewis macrumors 65816

They're probably just being careful, this being a new product and all. If there were some kind of common problem, we'd be seeing tons of screaming and whining here. They probably want to see if the failing part has some higher-than-expected failure rate.

Generally speaking, electronics tend to fail pretty early (e.g., defective part, specific to just your one macbook), or not for a long time. There are exceptions, of course.

13. daleski75 macrumors 65816

daleski75

Ouch man sorry to hear that hope you get a replacement very quickly.

14. 01mggt macrumors 6502

Lol I am using an old Powerbook G4 867mhz. Your iPad has me beat! I can't even watch a 720p video right now hehe