rMBP Logic board just failed!!!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by iphonehype, May 5, 2013.

1. iphonehype macrumors 6502

Just booked an appointment, how long does it take Apple to order the part and fix?

Seeing as a logic board failure on this rMBP is practically a new machine, can they just replace the machine?

i cant be waiting around for a repair, need it fixed asap :mad:

2. Woodcrest64 macrumors 6502a

Woodcrest64

I had my screen fixed in 2 days if that's any benchmark...

3. Brian Y macrumors 68040

a) How old is the machine.
    b) How do you know it's the logic board.
    c) What problem are you experiencing?

4. johnnnw macrumors 65816

johnnnw

I doubt they will just replace it. The repairs don't take longer than a day or two though.

They prefer to fix them then to have to give you a new one unfortunately. If they do that they have your old one they need to then fix and sell as a refurbished.

5. leman macrumors 604

They might change it if they are very nice, but you are not entitled to it. The repairs should be very quick, unless they have to order parts and/or are swamped by work. Sorry for you bad luck, I am sure Apple will quickly repair your machine.

6. iphonehype thread starter macrumors 6502

Machines a few months old, the machine was working fine and then started smell like something burnt and turned off! Called Apple Support they said burnt logic board ! N

7. locoboi187 macrumors 6502a

Uhm, the computer would turn off way before it would begin to smell like its gonna burn. Sure you didn't get any liquids in there?…lol

8. daneoni macrumors G4

daneoni

Was quoted 3-5 days for an MLB replacement, got it back 48hrs later.

9. iphonehype thread starter macrumors 6502

Took it instore today went in without an appointment said I'm going on holiday and need my Mac fixed ASAP they quoted 3-4 days would of been quicker but it's bank holiday weekend (London, England)

----------

Quite surprising, tho the whole logic board will be replaced ?!? Might get Apple Care tbh a replacement motherboard out of warranty could be quite expensive no?

10. locoboi187 macrumors 6502a

I heard people who damaged their retina bought applecare, then waited a week or two to avoid suspicion and got their rMBP fixed. I just bought applecare from the start, but I'm realizing, I never needed applecare once on any of my iDevices. I wasted at least 600$ in applecare :(. I'm deciding in no more applecare for me and my future devices lol

11. iphonehype thread starter macrumors 6502

The only reason why I am considering it, my last MacBook Pro logic board died just under 3 years and was quoted £500+VAT for the parts....

Then this new retina display model failed, and just dont want to take the risk...

I might just hold out, till the last month of the warranty if something happens serious with logic board again I will just push for a new machine that will come with 1 year warranty!

Paid £1500 for my last MacBook Pro lasted 3 years
    Paid £1800 for this MacBook Pro Retina and died after 3 months

I was always under the impression you pay premium you should get a product that shouldnt fail so easy!

But hey....thats electronics for you!

12. Stetrain macrumors 68040

That doesn't make any sense. For one thing AppleCare doesn't cover accidental damage anyway.

Also you can only buy AppleCare during the 1-year warranty anyway, so either you're already covered by the 1-year warranty or it's too late to buy AppleCare.

13. iphonehype thread starter macrumors 6502

I thought I USA AppleCare cover one Accidental incident ? For a small excess or is that iPhones only ?

14. dlimes13 macrumors 6502a

dlimes13

That would be AppleCare+, which only covers iPhone and iPad. AppleCare for computers does not cover accidental damage.

15. locoboi187 macrumors 6502a

Obviously those people bought it when their macbook broke within that year. What gain they received? I don't know but I know people who did that.