rMBP - loose Thunderbolt Plugs

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by asdfgbg, Aug 14, 2013.

1. asdfgbg macrumors regular

asdfgbg

Hey!:)

Yesterday I received my new rMB and its perfect that far. But when I plugged a Thunderbolt to Ethernet Adapter in one of the ports, I noticed that the Adapter is pretty loose and you can move it a few millimeters. And you can unplug it easily.
    The same goes for the other Thunderbolt port.
    Is it normal that they are so loose and easy to remove ?

Regards

2. swerve147 macrumors 6502a

swerve147

Yes, I can confirm the same issue with my TB ports, although certain cables are more snug than others, so there is a variance there. For example the Mini DP cable that came with my Dell monitor is decently snug. The TB cables that came with my LaCie rugged TB drives, not so much.

I believe I have heard the same loose cable complaint about the TB Ethernet adapter, so you're not alone.

3. pgiguere1 macrumors 68020

pgiguere1

I've owned 4 Macs with mDP/Thunderbolt ports and plugging any mDP/Thunderbolt peripheral in any of them always felt weird. It's always either too tight or too loose, and there's no satisfying "click" to confirm you it's been plugged successfully. You can pretty easily accidentally unplug the cable, and the outside metal part even end up being scratched just from plugging/unplugging it.

While the Thunderbolt tech itself is pretty impressive, the connector has always felt pretty bad. I think the best connectors to plug remain audio jacks (1/8" and especially 1/4") and the Lightning connector.