rMBP losing too much battery charge whilst asleep?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by inigo85, Jul 22, 2012.

1. inigo85 macrumors newbie

My retina Macbook Pro was asleep for a few days, unconnected from the charger, where the battery drained from 90% to 60%. Surley this seems like a lot - a 30% drain in less than 48 hours? My real concern is Apple touting up to '30 days of standby time' for the new Macbook - with a 30% drain happening so quickly, surely this would not be possible?

Have I got a defective battery? iStatpro reads battery health as 99%, and the battery itself has only gone through 3 cycles and seems perfectly fine otherwise. How have other people's experineces been with the new Macbook's battery and the amount of charge retained while asleep?.

P.S. Last night I let the macbook sleep - battery was 56%. This morning, less than 24 hours later, it's at 42%. No way would this battery last 30 days at this rate!

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

It's "Up to 30 days standby time."

http://www.apple.com/macbook-pro/specs/

Depending on what you have running on your machine when you close the lid the actual amount of time you get will vary.

3. inigo85 thread starter macrumors newbie

I was hardly running anything - Safari only - when I put it to sleep.

And surely (I could be mistaken, so forgive me if I am) but when you put your computer to sleep everything running does literally that -sleep-so it shouldn't matter if you running one programme or ten.

4. ZipZap macrumors 601

Perhaps I misunderstand sleep....whats still running?

5. inigo85 thread starter macrumors newbie

Just safari. No other programmes were running when I put the Mac to sleep.

6. ChopinGuy macrumors newbie

I had this problem on my first retina, and returned it -- mine would drain at times from 95% to below 20% while in sleep mode for perhaps 2 hours. Of course, then my second rMBP had the image retention issue -- I went back to the cMBP. Definitely need to get Apple to look at this or possibly give you a new machine...

7. mojo8472 macrumors member

This definitely doesn't seem right. My rMBP will typically only drain ~1% after 12 hours of sleep.

I'd say take it to an Apple Store

8. inigo85 thread starter macrumors newbie

That's what I thought...really didn't want to return the MacBook but I guess I'll have to if the battery is defective. Can anyone confirm that their battery hardly drains at all when asleep?

----------

Just saw your reply - look like I'll take it to an Apple store and see what they say

9. Tobias Funke macrumors 6502a

Tobias Funke

My non r macbook pro drains a lot of battery when asleep.

But so does my samsung net book so I assumed it is just a common sleep thing.

Apple even state to turn laptop off if leaving for more than a few days.

I doubt mine would last 30 days on sleep without dying.

10. inigo85 thread starter macrumors newbie

To be honest I don't really care about it staying asleep for 30 days as, as you say, if I was going to leave the MacBook for several days I'd shut it down.

The problem is more that I have paid a huge amount for this laptop and I want it to run perfectly. As a previous poster stated (that their MacBook can last for 12 hours with only using 1% charge) while mine loses around 10% there is clearly a problem with my battery.

11. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

I wouldn't say you've made any sort of reasonable case that there's a problem with your battery.

12. NewbieCanada macrumors 68030

I have this issue intermittently too. I went to bed last night with Outlook and Safari running. 100% before bed, and 100% now. But other times it drains significantly in a few hours - as much as 20%.

My guess us that it might have something to do with the hardware support for power nap and am waiting to see if it continues under mountain Lion before taking action.

13. inigo85 thread starter macrumors newbie

How so? If you were in my position would you assume your battery was 100% fine and was working perfectly?

----------

What I'll do for a test I think is too charge it fully to 100% today and leave it overnight and see what the percentage is by the morning. Hopefully the problem would be intermittent as you say and Mountain Lion may solve it!

14. markp99 macrumors member

Data point: Lost 3% overnight (100% - 97%). Nothing was left running but the OS.

With SSD, I might just revert to full shutdown vs sleeping. 8 sec boot time not too painful.

15. zerotiu macrumors regular

it's different. Using sleep you don't have to start opening all the applications you previously used again. Yes it's faster in rMBP..but still different :)

16. inigo85 thread starter macrumors newbie

I've fully charged the battery to 100% and have now taken out the MagSafe connector. I'll leave the MacBook overnight and see what percentage the battery is in the morning.

On a side note, before I did have a mighty mouse connected via Bluetooth to the rMBP, which was left on...I doubt that caused any problems but I've turned it off just in case.

17. inigo85 thread starter macrumors newbie

Checked it this morning and battery is at 100%. Maybe it was the mouse after all.

18. theSeb macrumors 604

theSeb

Certain devices and software can prevent sleep or deep sleep.

19. TLewis, Jul 23, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 23, 2012

TLewis macrumors 65816

That's very likely it. According to Apple's document on standby, the rMBP enters standby mode after an hour (writes everything to the SSD, and then really powers off). However, lots of things can prevent this, which can suck your battery dry. You basically can't have any of these:

• No USB devices.
    • No inserted SD card.
    • No currently paired bluetooth device (this is likely the OP's problem).
    • No attached external thunderbolt display.

20. golf1410 macrumors 6502a

golf1410