rMBP - Low geekbench scores (~7500)

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by nhein, Aug 9, 2012.

1. nhein macrumors newbie

I recently purchased 2 rMBPs and one of them has seemed a little sluggish since day one. I didn't think much of it at first but last week I installed Windows (via Bootcamp) to play FFXIV and it was horrendous. I also installed it on the second rMBP and it runs great. I'm not much of a performance guy but this kind of freaked me out so I started running different bench tests to see what was going on.

My first thought was that it was just a bad Windows install. I ran the Windows Experience Index and scored a 6.4. Every other review I've seen of the rMBP it gets at LEAST a 7.1. My other rMBP scores a 7.3. This gave me some confidence that at the very least, something was wrong on the Windows side of things. To try and be thorough I jumped over to OSX and ran tests there.

The easiest bench tests to compare my machine to were the geekbench tests since the results are all online. Running geekbench the last few days has racked me up all of the worst bench tests for the rMBP on the site! My average scores are between 7000-8000 but have been as low as 6400. The other rMBP (and nearly every other review I've seen online) gets a score between 11000-12000.

I called Apple today and they were convinced it was a software issue. I reinstalled OSX and all updates and flashed/zapped/whatevered the PRAM and SMC. The scores still aren't any better. At this point I'm a little nervous that I have a bad rMBP. I'm no whiz but since the issue persists across both OSs it seems like a hardware issue to me. The other thing I was noticing in geekbench was that the multi-core tests were horribly slow compared to my other rMBP.

Does anyone have any ideas as to what may actually be going on? Should I be doing everything I can to get Apple to take a closer look at this machine? Can I request support based on low benchmark scores and crappy Windows game performance?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks.

2. Dangerous Theory macrumors 68000

Since you reinstalled and everything, I would put it down to bad hardware and get a replacement. At least go to Apple and show them in person.

3. tibi08 macrumors 6502a

tibi08

I agree.

4. nhein thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you both.

I live 4+ hours from an Apple store so I'll call them and see if I can talk them into sending me one. This one is "usable", it's just not as usable as it should be. :)

5. omgitscro macrumors 6502a

omgitscro

Do the fans kick in any earlier on it? It might be some mis-applied thermal paste which would cause the power manager to throttle the CPU relatively early under processor-intensive tasks.