rMBP Matte Screen Protector

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jkz, Jul 2, 2014.

1. jkz macrumors newbie

Hi Everyone,
    I recently got my 15 rMBP and the reflections on the glossy display are driving me crazy!:eek:
    I'm using the laptop for school mainly to type papers and some light programming so screen comfort is a big issue for me.

I've read through the forums and numerous reviews on Amazon and narrowed it down to:

Moshi iVisor Pro
    http://www.amazon.com/Moshi-iVisor-...8&qid=1404288574&sr=8-5&keywords=moshi+ivisor

or

Green Onions Supply AG2-2013
    http://www.amazon.com/Green-Onions-...&sr=8-2&keywords=green+onions+supply+ag2-2013

Now before I shell out $40 on a screen protector, Does anyone have some recent experience with either of these?
    The Moshi has some decent reviews however most people mention the "Grainy" effect which is usually the trade off with having an AG protector on. As per some reviews and their site, the Green Onions AG2-2013 seems to be somewhere in the middle with the "Grainy" effect.

2. yimyim macrumors newbie

Hello,

I have a 13" rMBP. After the screen issues, I ordered a Moshi iVisor.

It is pretty terrible. There is a grain effect and it also reduces the overall brightness of the screen. I know this because I calibrate my screen regularly and the calibration hardware now reads the screen as slightly dimmer.

The reflections are just as bad or perhaps worse. The protector just spreads them out somehow. They remain annoying.

But, the upside to the screen protector is you wont have to replace the screen when it burns dirt from the keyboard into itself.

Hope that helps somewhat...

3. romesk90 macrumors member

what? can you elaborate?

4. jkz thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the Reply.

Did you end up keeping the Moshi on?
    I was afraid of the Grain effect but overall would you consider this a minor con compared to better eye comfort?

5. Sifinity macrumors 6502

Sifinity

after using a cMB 13" with a cheap screen protector i don't think anything can be as reflective as that ; you will get use to the glare eventually

6. yimyim macrumors newbie

The rMBPs have a slight engineering/design problem. The screen can pickup dirt and grime from the chassis and keyboard because the clearance is so minimal.

I have a 13" rMBP and have had the screen replaced because of this issue under warranty. The Mac-shop near me told me it is a known issue for the rMBPs and they replace the screen once under warranty but no more than this. Users must place a thin piece of paper between the screen and the keyboard at all times when shut or use a screen protector otherwise its their own problem when someting happens again.

They explained to me that the screen picks up dirt from the chassis or keyboard when closed. Once the screen then warms up it burns the dirt into itself causing upreparable damage. The screen shows marks like a film has been rubbed off or something similar and the entire screen has to be replaced.

Thats the deal and,i guess, the price of such a slim device :p

----------

yes, i keep it on because i dont want to damage the screen. Replacement is at least 300 CHF i think, not including work. but it is a massive pity the protectir is so bad.
    I dont have experience with others, maybe another brand is better?