rMBP mid 2012 and Keyboard Scratches

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by salmankhan, Oct 8, 2014.

1. salmankhan macrumors member

salmankhan

Hey there my fellow Macbuddies.. Anyhow as the title states my old mid 2012 rmbp 15inch screen is badly scuffed by keyboard scratches n markings and i jus sold it off recently n bought myself the new mid 2014 rmbp 15inch with dGPU ..so the question i wanna ask is that how i can save the screen of my new rmbp..
    i like to mention here that i used to take care alot of my previous rmbp i used to clean its screen n keyboard with apple provided microfibre cloth and i never sandwiched my rmbp in btw books or anything like that wheneva i used to travel but despite alll these futile attempts the screen got scuffed with keyboard markings... so any help now will be appreciated

2. Bending Pixels macrumors 65816

Watches and jewelry are the usual suspects in creating scratches. Moshi makes a PalmGuard that protects the palm rest. They also make a keyboard protector, but I recall Apple making a statement that those aren't recommended with the thinner MBA's and rMBP's.

3. meson macrumors regular

About the only solution is some sort of screen protector, similar to what many use on their phone. In the past, I've just lived with the marks, as they aren't noticeable to me when I'm using the machine.

4. salmankhan thread starter macrumors member

salmankhan

that is exactly what i have been told .. not to use any keyboard protector on my rmbp

----------

I think its better now for me to live with the normal wear and tear process n time to shed off the OCD

5. nobodyjustwalks macrumors regular

I do not quite understand how you are scratching your screen. I do not use a keyboard protector, nor have I ever, and I have never had my keyboard accidentally scratch my screen. I am careful with my rMBP in the sense that I remind people that they do not have to poke my screen to point to something, but as far as the keyboard somehow pushing against the screen...for a properly machined and assembled rMBP...seems a bit strange.

Apple does not recommend using keyboard protectors because their laptops are machined to very tight tolerances, however, I am sure they account for the proximity of the keyboard to the screen when designing the computer. Not saying that it is not a possibility that your previous MBP was machined in a way that pushed the keyboard against the screen, just that it is not common to have the screen scratch in this manner. Unless, you the use are somehow unknowingly mishandling your device.

Best of luck with your new machine. And yes, I too try not to carry large books in my bag that may end up slamming an additional 10 lbs against my computer during my daily commute.

6. salmankhan thread starter macrumors member

salmankhan

Thanks bro for your wishes. Anyhow i have really taken care of my mid 2012 retina macpro but despite being quite careful with my laptop it still got scuffed by the keyboard...its strange i know and still those hideous marks haunts me..anyhow one thing i wanna mention here is that i used to travel alot n used to take my macbook in a sleeve rather then a carry bag ...so is this the factor ? this time i bought a very expensive carrying bag for my mid2014 rmbp...lets c finger crossed

7. nobodyjustwalks macrumors regular

Hmm...very interesting. Perhaps youʻre right. Perhaps itʻs somehow getting scratched from carrying it around in a sleeve. But the only way this could happen is if youʻre carrying other heavy items in your bag along with your laptop and theyʻre somehow pushing against your laptop during the course of the day. Who knows if this is possible?

Interestingly, for me personally, I purchased a Thule sleeve because I wanted a carrying case that would protect my rMBP from this type of mysterious occurrence. I wasnʻt neccessarily buying the Thule to protect my rMBP from scratches, although the case does this. I purchased a rigid, exterior case to prevent my laptop from getting crushed in my bag from very heavy books. Whether this protects my laptop from unnecessary bumps and bruises, who knows? What I do know is that when Iʻm running around during the day, with a 10-15 lb bag, and the bag is slamming back and forth against my body from running for a train or something, my rMBP is well protected from these types external forces.

Good luck with your expensive new carrying bag. Hope the issue doesnʻt reoccur with your new computer. Hereʻs the link to my sleeve:

http://www.amazon.com/Thule-TAS-115-15-MacBook-Sleeve/dp/B004N731J8

8. salmankhan thread starter macrumors member

salmankhan

You are right on one point here my bro.. though i never sandwiched my laptop btw books or other things but sometimes i used to travel by road n the route on which i used to travel was rugged n mountaineous and hell it was a very bumpy ride n my laptop used to be on the backseat of the car flip flopping up and down maybe jus maybe that was the caustive factor ...
    anyways thanks for the link and indeed that is some tough sleeve you got there ..it can take a good amount of beating judging from its exterior ...
    and this is the link of the carrying bag i am using though i have it in beige color.

http://www.amazon.com/Tucano-Work-O...2879050&sr=1-22&keywords=Tucano+work+out+slim

9. nobodyjustwalks macrumors regular

Good looking bag. Hopefully itʻll be enough to protect your very expensive new laptop. Best of luck!