rMBP Mid 2014 Yellow Tint

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by blutech, Sep 18, 2014.

1. blutech macrumors newbie

Sep 18, 2014
    Hi guys Im hoping a couple of you will be able to help me out. This is my first Macbook, and i've only had it for less than a few days, so the prospect that things may not be right with it is disheartening to say the least.

I only noticed the difference in colour once I hooked it up to my TV via a HDMI cable, and was surprised how vastly different the whites look. The colour profile on my Mac is set to the default LCD and I've already checked for bad sectors using ImagSync, and got the clear.

Is this normal, or is their something wrong with my MacBook?

Attached Files:

2. poematik13 macrumors 6502a

Jun 5, 2014
    your TV and your laptop are set to entirely different color spaces (sRGB on your laptop and 709 on your TV). Additionally, both of them probably aren't calibrated to match each other, or even calibrated at all.

So there really is no objective benchmark to rely on when saying this screen is yellow or that screen looks "normal", etc. welcome to the cruel world of color management.

adjust your macbooks screen settings in system preferences > display > color > calibrate. it'll walk you through some steps to get your screen looking better.

that being said, rMBP's do have a tendency to have a yellow bias, so if it bugs you a lot you can always go through replacement units until you find one thats acceptable
  3. blutech thread starter macrumors newbie

Sep 18, 2014
    Thanks, but I don't see how it would matter in if the colour profiles matched. Clearly there's a single accurate colour profile that matches printing standards, so only one would be the correct one. In this instance the profile on the MacBook looks really off.

Im worried if replacement units will have the same problem.
  4. johndellis macrumors newbie

Aug 26, 2009

There is nothing wrong with your macbook. The default profile on your mac sets the temperature to about 6500* whereas your TV is probably set to 9300* or higher. It will definitely appear warmer, or "yellow" as you say. My rMBP looks "yellow" compared to my TV directly also.
  5. haafling macrumors member

Sep 12, 2014
    This is a common issue, well documented in the community (see here http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1660649).

I've got a yellow tint too, I calibrated the screen and now it looks ok (though it's not perfect), even some of the in-store model seems to have this problem.

Btw, most of the screens you see everyday (unless you work in a image related business) are cooler than they should be, so the rMPB appears really warm next to the others.
  6. sickducker macrumors member

Sep 1, 2014
    It's a matter of calibration. Mine also had a slight yellow tint, but it looks great after calibration. I never had a screen without a tint, most of them were too cold.
  7. vjobs macrumors regular

Nov 23, 2013
    Amsterdam, Netherlands
    Mine 2014 15" is fine, but also looked a bit warm.. After calibration its perfect in any way. If it bothers you, go and exchange it