rMBP ML Integrated Graphics Issue In Safari

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Kristine, Jul 29, 2012.

1. Kristine macrumors 6502a

I have a new base rMBP which I have just updated to Mountain Lion (fresh install). In Safari, on some websites I am seeing a graphics issue - a white vertical line in the same spot on some websites. The line is in the same position vertically, but not horizontally. I never had this issue using Lion. I have re-installed Mountain Lion from scratch four times and even went back to Lion to verify there was no problem (but I am now back on Mountain Lion). I have also repaired permissions and reset PRAM.

This issue occurs at all resolutions, with the browser utilising the full width of desktop (but not I am not using browser in full-screen mode). I have nothing installed that could be causing this (this happens on a fresh install, nothing else installed on Mac).

If I change from integrated to discrete graphics and refresh the webpages affected, the issue disappears.

Just wondering, does anyone else have the same or similar issue?

Also, would appreciate if someone could test the Whirlpool Forums website and see if they receive the same issue in Safari on integrated graphics (see my screenshot which show the problem).

I have also uploaded a screenshot of the toolbar/navbar on MacRumors which displays the same issue (to the far right of FAQ/Rules).

Cheers

Attached Files:

2. maverick808 macrumors 65816

maverick808

I see the same issue on here (MacRumors) and the Whirlpool forums. Switching to discrete graphics makes the lines go.

3. Kristine thread starter macrumors 6502a

4. Shaunyac macrumors regular

Shaunyac

I just tested the Whirlpool website for you running the integrated graphics and there's no problem for me, don't know if this helps at all, running 2.3/16/256 and upgraded to ML from L day before yesterday.

EDIT: By the way I'm running safari using full width of desktop but not in full screen mode too.

5. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I tried to duplicate the issue on my rMBP and I was unable too. I tried max width, full screen and normal width (for me).

6. Kristine thread starter macrumors 6502a

Ok, to those who don't see the issue, did you update to ML or fresh install?

7. Shaunyac macrumors regular

Shaunyac

8. Kristine thread starter macrumors 6502a

Ok, thanks. Wonder if it is just an issue because of the fresh install of ML.

9. Kristine thread starter macrumors 6502a

On my fresh install of ML, automatic graphics switching is enabled (under System Preferences -> Energy Saver). I have disabled it for now, restarted and both websites appears to display as it did in Lion.

Not a perfect solution, but it will do for now until I can get a chance to re-install Lion and then do an upgrade to Mountain Lion and test to see if this fixes the issue.

Attached Files:

10. terraphantm macrumors 68040

I saw it too. Initially I thought it was just an artifact of rendering websites in "retina" resolutions.

11. Habakuk, Jul 29, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 29, 2012

Habakuk macrumors 6502a

Confirmed (one has to look carefully for being able to see the slim lines). rMBP 2.3/16/256. Display by LG. Updated (no clean install) from 10.7 (shipped pre-installed) to 10.8. Applied SMC Update.

Before the recent SMC Update (and right after the ML update) it was even worse—sometimes little parts of the displayed image would freeze on scrolling (didn't try to switch graphic chips). (Afair no such issues with 10.7 that was pre-installed.) The SMC Update helped a lot.

There are such lines at other places, too. Mostly in web based editors (p. e. WordPress.com). Some are white, some are black, sometimes they show up later. Switching the graphics generator from integrated Intel to discreet Nvidia and refreshing helps but it's not always save to refresh an editor where you typed in some content already.

12. Kristine thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks for your input, really appreciated. I do also see it on other websites, but those are two of my most visited sites.

13. Xcelerate macrumors regular

Yep, same issue. Upgraded from Lion to Mountain Lion. Looks like a driver glitch of some sort. Hopefully Apple will correct it soon.

14. bitninja macrumors regular

bitninja

If you guys haven't already, I'd strongly encourage filing reports about this issue at http://bugreport.apple.com and giving the URLs you're seeing this on, as well as uploading the screenshots you have. :)

15. KimHansenDK macrumors 6502

Any news on this? I get et in safari and chrome - especially on skype.com there is a line at the end of the buttons on that site. In firefox (no retina support) there are no such lines. My macbook pro retina had ML installed from the beginning.

16. Kristine thread starter macrumors 6502a

No further information. I was at the Apple store last week (for other related issues with my rMBP), and asked the genius about it. He said he had never seen it before and neither had the genius standing next to him.

The genius and myself went and viewed the display rMBP's and tested about five different websites on each - all had been upgraded from Lion to Mountain Lion and all had the issue on same websites.

17. KingArthurVI macrumors regular

KingArthurVI

I don't have the issue you're facing but I do have another problem, my textboxes or some web elements in Safari or Chrome page would flicker and flash randomly sometimes, especially after I accessed Facebook or Gmail, but only a small portion of the screen would flash. Any of you guys having this problem too?

18. KimHansenDK macrumors 6502

If you access Skype.com on the new iPad the lines are present on the buttons as well. So I recon that most people will see these lines when running a 'retina browser'. And clearly something that will be fixed in an update.

19. bitninja macrumors regular

bitninja

I've seen that as well. Definitely file a bug report about that and upload a screenshot of the issue if you can grab one.

20. inlinevolvo macrumors 6502

I switched to using chrome. The latest version is retina compatible. It runs smoother than safari, and uses about a third the ram!

21. mat25 macrumors regular

mat25

I get the white lines on my rMBP with Safari as well.

22. cms2, Aug 12, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 12, 2012

cms2 macrumors 6502

cms2

I also saw these white lines... I thought they had always been on MR and that I had never noticed them because my display wasn't as high resolution as the rMBP... Just loaded same page on Chrome and saw no white lines.

I have also noticed some odd behavior with several headlines across multiple news sites (never in the body of the story no matter how much I zoom in), but not in Chrome. See attached pics.

I'm guessing the new version of Safari has some bugs. I have never used Chrome before (I specifically downloaded it last night to check the above) and keep forgetting to use it instead; I'm pretty much a creature of habit. :rolleyes:

Edit: the image with the red arrow is Safari. The one without is Chrome.

Attached Files:

23. mac1984user macrumors 6502a

mac1984user

Same issue here. I get the white lines on some pages when browsing in Safari. It seems to be fairly random in that it affects different sites at different times. For instance, it's present now as I type this message. However, if I reload the page, it won't necessarily happen again. That said, the line appears in roughly the same place as far as I can tell.

24. leman macrumors 604

Safari is extremely buggy :( It crashes, has occasional lag when inputing text into a form (e.g. on the forums), graphical glitches. The beta of Chrome seems to be much better in that regard.

25. iosuser macrumors 6502a

I found this thread while searching Google. I'm having the same problem, been at it all day. Tried everything - fresh ML install, fresh Lion install then upgrade to ML, and everything in-between. The only time I don't get the white line is on Lion. It's either one or two white lines, only on certain web pages, and depending how big I have the Safari window, but the lines are always in the same spot(s).

PS this is on a 2012 MBP 13. I boot the hard drive onto a 2011 MBP 13 and it doesn't have the white line, so this is a problem with the HD4000 video on Mountain Lion. Well at least I now know it's not something wrong with my particular MBP :rolleyes:

Attached Files: