rMBP ML Recovery - SSD Optimization

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Desmo1098, Dec 8, 2012.

1. Desmo1098 macrumors regular

Desmo1098

I have been testing out a new rMBP for about 2 weeks and decided I am going to keep it. I have loaded a lot of software on to it and want to now perform a clean install. With that being said I have the following questions:

1. If I perform the standard Apple Recovery method using CTRL-R upon boot, will there be an option to perform a custom install? For example, in Snow Leopard I use to be able to de-select languages, printers, etc to save SSD space... Is the case with the Mountain Lion Recovery Install? Or does ML not include all of that additional data?

2. Now how will the re-install affect all the used space on my rMBP SSD? Mind you, there is nothing that I need to save, I was just testing the rMBP out. My concern is with SSD optimization; so when I perform the re-install will the built-in TRIM functions take care of everything and I don't need to worry about all the test software I installed that I no longer want?

Many thanks!

Desmo1098

2. dusk007 macrumors 68040

dusk007

Wear leveling works independently and can only be reset by special tools not by simply formatting the SSD if that is what you are asking.

I kind of doubt you can save a whole lot of space by removing languages and stuff. This can be done later too with some cleaning tools. Next movie files that is probably not much. Languages is just text. You might save maybe 1-2GB which isn't really worth the trouble in a 256GB drive imo.

3. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

1. ML just installs everything. No options.

2.. Don't worry about it. You have an Apple OEM SSD, so the OS will handle TRIM.