rMBP + ML = :X

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Southernboyj, Aug 8, 2012.

1. Southernboyj macrumors 68000

Southernboyj

So ever since I upgraded my rMBP to Mountain Lion, I've had a few annoyances. Mainly when I close the computer to put it to sleep, when I open it.. the screen turns on immediately to my password login. But its about 7 seconds before I can actually click or type anything. Also Safari 6 has been kind of buggy and has crashed occasionally. Anyone else experience this? It ran perfect on OS X Lion.

2. jazx12 macrumors member

3. TLewis, Aug 8, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 8, 2012

TLewis macrumors 65816

That should have also happened on Lion, as the behavior hasn't changed. (Well, maybe you're not playing with the rMBP as much, or you're using the battery more, which might explain this.)

It takes a few seconds to wake up because the rMBP is coming out of standby, not sleep.

When you close the lid, the rMBP enters sleep. After an hour (but only on battery power), the rMBP enters standby, where everything is written to the SSD and the rMBP turns OFF (that's how the rMBP gets the "~30 days of standby"). When you later open the lid, everything has to be loaded from the SSD back into RAM, and that takes a few seconds.

See the Apple support article for more details.

4. cstm macrumors regular

5. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I noticed a slight delay when waking up,but tbh, I never timed it.

So far, I've not incurred any problems with safari.

6. Rocky244 macrumors regular

It's normal to have that delay after returning from a long period of sleep (hibernation). Depending on how you have your hibernate mode set up, usually it's about an hour after no use before the computer enters hibernate mode. You can note when it is by opening up your console application after you wake it from a deep sleep. Somewhere in the log it'll read something about "hibernation".

When hibernation occurs the computer won't instant on, it'll show the screen and then not allow you type anything for a few seconds. To correct this problem, you can turn hibernate mode off (search google for the terminal commands). I'm not sure if changing the settings in energy savings will do anything. I know the three settings are: display sleep, computer sleep, and put computer drives to sleep when possible. Perhaps deselecting the last option will help as well, instead of turning off hibernation.. Perhaps they are the same thing.. I have not done enough research to know that, as the 5 seconds does not bother me after a deep sleep.

Also, how'd you use safari 6 in Lion? Didn't it release with ML? So, I'm not sure how you could've had no problems with Lion and Safari 6...

7. Rocky244 macrumors regular

After a few minutes of research, I've found some useful insight.

Pertaining to the differences between Computer Sleep and hibernate (hibernate not being present in any settings menu):

Sleep will keep the RAM running, in order for instant on to be possible.

Hibernate will store the state of the computer on the SDD. Which means if you had programs running before you put the computer to sleep, those programs' information needs to be reloaded to the RAM before the computer can begin to function again, which is why you are seeing the small delays you are seeing.

For me, I usually end up storing about 2 to 3 gb of information from the RAM when I enter deep sleep, resulting in a smallish delay upon start up. I'm sure it's similar for you.

So, the advice I gave earlier is your best bet and will probably work. Disable hibernate mode if it bothers you, but it is perfectly normal.

As for Safari 6, you'll need to describe your problems further.

8. kappaknight macrumors 68000

kappaknight

How do you disable hibernate? I don't have a rMBP but I do have a SSD on an early 2011 and I've noticed the same delays.

9. Rocky244 macrumors regular

Google it. It involves a terminal command.

10. throttlemeister macrumors 6502a

11. Rocky244 macrumors regular

12. PrestonWard macrumors member

i was having the same issue but it would take between 10-15 seconds to wake up. I went to apple last night to talk to them about it and they told me to re-install ML. I did that last night so we will see if it keeps happening.

13. Rocky244 macrumors regular

Their knee-jerk reaction is always to do a clean-install.

Why? Because they're basically saying, "this is not hardware related, we believe it is software related, and if you do a clean-install then you are taking away all possible software defects, thus solving your problem, but without us actually helping you."

So by all means go for it... Or read the posts above, because that is your real answer.

14. PrestonWard macrumors member

Yeah i thought that was alittle extreme at first. However this issue and a few others only popped up on my rMBP and my wife's air after the upgrade to ML so i figured i would give it a shot.

15. Southernboyj thread starter macrumors 68000

Southernboyj

No I mean, using Safari 5.1 in Lion was fine, in Safari 6 it clips on a lot of pages and has crashed a few times.

16. TitouDoc macrumors member

Got the same problem on my rMBP.

A clean install (not an upgrade) and take care of not importing the computer based settings is the way to go.
    It solved all my problems.

Here is the topic for the clean install methode :

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1404860