Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

KDR

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 8, 2007
I can't bring myself to buy the current Cinema Display. Between the price and likelihood of a refresh I can't pull the trigger. Besides, I really need two 24" monitors for my application anyway. Here's what I need:

I am using the rMBP for business. I am running parallels and want to run the Mac OS on one display and Windows on the other. I know there might be a bug in Parallels 8, but assuming this is fixed, what is the best way to do this? What ports(s) on the rMBP do I use and what cables etc do I need besides he monitors themselves?

While I'm at it, is there away to use a two keyboards and/or mice for Mac OS and windows simultaneously? I am so used to the keyboard shortcuts in office for windows that it makes a huge difference in my speed trying to use the Mac keyboard.

theSeb

macrumors 604
Aug 10, 2010
none
I can't bring myself to buy the current Cinema Display. Between the price and likelihood of a refresh I can't pull the trigger. Besides, I really need two 24" monitors for my application anyway. Here's what I need:

I am using the rMBP for business. I am running parallels and want to run the Mac OS on one display and Windows on the other. I know there might be a bug in Parallels 8, but assuming this is fixed, what is the best way to do this? What ports(s) on the rMBP do I use and what cables etc do I need besides he monitors themselves?

While I'm at it, is there away to use a two keyboards and/or mice for Mac OS and windows simultaneously? I am so used to the keyboard shortcuts in office for windows that it makes a huge difference in my speed trying to use the Mac keyboard.

I like using 24" monitors as well, but I recommend spending extra on 16:10 aspect ratio models. A good example is the Dell U2412M. This is the monitor that I own (I also have a 24" ACD 1920x1200) and use with my rMBP. I've been planning to get another Dell U2412m, but I am considering whether to go up to 27" instead, if the ATD is refreshed this year.

I connect it via the rMBP's HDMI port, by using an Apple HDMI to DVI-D adapter. The Dell comes with a DVI cable. The adapter came with my Mini for free and I don't see it for sale on Apple's site, but any HDMI to DVI-D adapter will work.

If I was to connect two of these, then I would use the rMBP's HDMI port with an adapter, like I am doing now and the second monitor I would connect to the Thunderbolt port, using a MiniDisplay Port to DVI-D adapter, like this one

http://store.apple.com/uk/product/MB570Z/A/mini-displayport-to-dvi-adapter?fnode=51

I've tested it and it works perfectly with the Dell.

This set up would enable you to have two (3 if you count the rMBP's display) monitors and still have one TB port left for other devices.

I've never tried using two keyboards in OS X. I would suggest trying to see how you get on with just a Windows keyboard. By default the Windows key becomes cmd in OS X. The other keys are the same so that you can still use it in OS X and be comfortable in Windows.

jedolley

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2009
I like using 24" monitors as well, but I recommend spending extra on 16:10 aspect ratio models. A good example is the Dell U2412M. This is the monitor that I own (I also have a 24" ACD 1920x1200) and use with my rMBP. I've been planning to get another Dell U2412m, but I am considering whether to go up to 27" instead, if the ATD is refreshed this year.

I connect it via the rMBP's HDMI port, by using an Apple HDMI to DVI-D adapter. The Dell comes with a DVI cable. The adapter came with my Mini for free and I don't see it for sale on Apple's site, but any HDMI to DVI-D adapter will work.

If I was to connect two of these, then I would use the rMBP's HDMI port with an adapter, like I am doing now and the second monitor I would connect to the Thunderbolt port, using a MiniDisplay Port to DVI-D adapter, like this one

http://store.apple.com/uk/product/MB570Z/A/mini-displayport-to-dvi-adapter?fnode=51

I've tested it and it works perfectly with the Dell.

This set up would enable you to have two (3 if you count the rMBP's display) monitors and still have one TB port left for other devices.

I've never tried using two keyboards in OS X. I would suggest trying to see how you get on with just a Windows keyboard. By default the Windows key becomes cmd in OS X. The other keys are the same so that you can still use it in OS X and be comfortable in Windows.

With the U2412M couldn't he use the TB ports with the miniDP-DP cable instead (assuming he does not currently use the TB ports for anything)?

theSeb

macrumors 604
Aug 10, 2010
none
With the U2412M couldn't he use the TB ports with the miniDP-DP cable instead (assuming he does not currently use the TB ports for anything)?

Indeed, but I don't recall a DP cable in the box. I am pretty sure it does not come with one... so I had to double check on the Dell US website:

WHAT'S IN THE BOX
Monitor with stand
Power cable
DVI cable
USB cable
VGA Cable
Drivers and Documentation media
Quick Setup Guide
Safety Information

Hence why it's better to just use miniDP-->DVI-D adapters, instead of having to buy separate DP cables as well. He could get two miniDP-->DVI-D adapters, but that would mean losing Thunderbolt connectivity and having an HDMI port not doing anything. This is pointless since HDMI can handle 1920x1200. It can even handle more in 1.3 spec (or 1.4... sorry, I lose track of these things), but I am not sure which HDMI version the rMBP's port actually is.

jedolley

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2009
Indeed, but I don't recall a DP cable in the box. I am pretty sure it does not come with one... so I had to double check on the Dell US website:

Hence why it's better to just use miniDP-->DVI-D adapters, instead of having to buy separate DP cables as well. He could get two miniDP-->DVI-D adapters, but that would mean losing Thunderbolt connectivity and having an HDMI port not doing anything. This is pointless since HDMI can handle 1920x1200. It can even handle more in 1.3 spec (or 1.4... sorry, I lose track of these things), but I am not sure which HDMI version the rMBP's port actually is.

Personally I hate adapters. :D But I agree that he should use the HDMI for one to free up one of the TB ports. As for the mini-DP to DP, you can find them on monoprice for pretty cheap. That's what I was going to do before I just decided to go with the TB Display.

KDR

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 8, 2007
Thanks all for the great advice. I'll let you know how it goes.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.