Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hnahumi

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 29, 2013
Hello,

Very new in the scene.

I have bought a mid 2012 RMBP + 2013 Airport Time capsule + Thunderbolt to ethernet adaptor.

I can't seem to use the time capsule connected with wires, It only works wireless and I find it VERY slow via WIFI, So thats Why I bought the adaptor.

-How do I use it with the cable?
-Will my laptop recognize the time capsule as the same one it uses wireless and be able to use it also to backup when its connected with ethernet?
-Can I use it like a regular externel hard drive with ethernet (drag and drop)?

Thanks in advance for your help!!

newdeal

macrumors 68030
Oct 21, 2009
yes you can mount the time capsule and use it as a regular hard drive (there is one partition and you will see some sparse bundles which is the back up file) but you can use it no problem like an external simultaneously. Yes the mac will see it as the same device whether it is wifi or ethernet. Wifi can be pretty fast but you need to be on 5ghz and put your computer directly beside the router, the further you get away and the more walls in the way the slower it gets. Still not as fast as ethernet but not that far off because the spinning drive in the time capsule is slower than gigabit ethernet anyway.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
-Will my laptop recognize the time capsule as the same one it uses wireless and be able to use it also to backup when its connected with ethernet?
-Can I use it like a regular externel hard drive with ethernet (drag and drop)?

Thanks in advance for your help!!

Yes to both.

I think what is going on is even though you have connected via ethernet, it is still using the wireless connection.

Open System Prefs and in the network panel click the settings cog at the bottom then pick "set service order" and drag the TB ethernet up above the wireless and save. Now whenever you come home and plug in the TB/ethernet cable the connection will switch over to ethernet and off of wifi.

nP3KrgE.png

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.