RMBP + new Airport time capsule VIA Thunderbolt

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by hnahumi, Jul 4, 2013.

1. hnahumi macrumors newbie

Hello,

Very new in the scene.

I have bought a mid 2012 RMBP + 2013 Airport Time capsule + Thunderbolt to ethernet adaptor.

I can't seem to use the time capsule connected with wires, It only works wireless and I find it VERY slow via WIFI, So thats Why I bought the adaptor.

-How do I use it with the cable?
    -Will my laptop recognize the time capsule as the same one it uses wireless and be able to use it also to backup when its connected with ethernet?
    -Can I use it like a regular externel hard drive with ethernet (drag and drop)?

Thanks in advance for your help!!

2. ColdCase, Jul 4, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 4, 2013

ColdCase macrumors 68030

Do you have a home network with a router or is the TC set up as a router?

If you are using the TC as a router, you will connect a ethernet cable from your TC to the adapter and then via thunderbolt to your laptop. Make sure you don't plug into the WAN port on the TC, use one of the LAN ports.

It will work the same as wireless, only a bit faster.

You will double click the TC name from the network devices in your finder window. The TC drive will be listed, double click the disk and it mounts just like any external drive and can be used the same.

Turn the laptop wireless off if you want to be sure they are connecting via ethernet cable.

Ethernet is faster than wireless but not as fast as a external USB drive.