rMBP not booting up after 10.8.1 update

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jeffmorr, Aug 25, 2012.

1. jeffmorr macrumors member

Hey everyone, I just picked up my Retina Macbook Pro less than a month ago and I'm already getting a problem with it. I updated to the latest 10.8.1 Mountain Lion update yesterday and my computer was performing regularly after. I then turned it off and tried turning it on again after it had been powered off for about 3 hours but it was stuck at the screen with the Apple logo. I'm able to adjust the brightness, volume, and things on that screen but I have a rainbow circle and my computer just isn't turning on.

I've booted it into recovery mode and repairing the hard drive and its permissions but it doesn't help.

Does anyone have this problem? Any solutions?

PS: Can it be related to the fact that the computer, when I first bought it, was re-imaged through my school to have Adobe CS5, MS Office, etc.? Usually they only use that image on 13" Pro's but I was an exception.

2. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

The reimaging is the problem. They don't take into account that your computer has hardware that's not available on the 13" MacBook Pro, so you are missing drivers.

Run the installer and install over your existing OS. This will retain your files and programs.

3. jeffmorr thread starter macrumors member

That does make sense, but I'm just curious why my computer worked until this new update? And the imaging that my school does is just to add their networking info, install Adobe CS5, and set up remote screen sharing. Why would it effect my computers different specifications.

Additionally, my old computer, which I'm using right now, was also mirrored with my school's system. It's a 13" Pro but when buying it, I upgraded the specs to the top of the line system. Wouldn't the imaging effect this too?